1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red bullet VVTI seloniod

Discussion in 'Prius c Accessories and Modifications' started by Max Taiwan, Apr 9, 2019.

1. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Here is the dyno run for the Red Bullet for a fixed ratio car> SmartSelectImage_2019-04-19-00-33-38.png

wildgatsby likes this.
  2. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I knew it! I just knew this would happen!! I was just waiting to hear from someone with the Injen air intake and the red bullet! The two items should work together to help the Atkinson cycle engine achieve optimal performance, using fuel/air ratio to the max!! I just need to hear someone using it while in the "power" mode!!

CSuirp, Max Taiwan and wildgatsby like this.
  3. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Ah Ha!! To all prius dudes.........THIS IS THE SILVER BULLET WE HAVE BEEN WAITING FOR! The apexi switch, Injen intake and the red bullet will really increase power without hurting gas mileage performance!! I need to save up some moolah to get the Injen and red bullet.

CSuirp, Max Taiwan and wildgatsby like this.
  4. wildgatsby

wildgatsby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    So, it's been about half-a-week since I used the three mods in conjunction. While the Red Bullet and the SP Series S.R.A.I. definitely boosted fuel economy by a significant margin, allowing the car to be pushed a little without sacrificing much fuel economy and still succeeding previous fuel economy, the Smart Accel Controller does not really do the same in "High Throttle Mode" (the controller's most powerful mode).

My mpg ratings were from the high 20s to high 30s and not from the mid 40s to 60+ (my good ones are usually 75+, but I have actually once gotten in the 90s before in a 15 min. drive - there was a slight decent on the way, but there were hills to climb too once in a while). The sacrifices in fuel definitely gave the Prius a much more powerful feel, making climbing hills a breeze and keeping up with most vehicles a breeze (all with quite a growl from the intake, and immediately by the Red Bullet). However, I have not used neither one of its three eco modes nor its "Low Throttle Mode" yet; I will have to try one of those and see what happens.

My guess is to maximize and balance speed and fuel economy, "Boost Mode 1" (the first sport setting above the factory setting) may be activated due to its closeness to the factory setting. On the other hand, if someone wants power, definitely switch the A'PEXi to its red "High Throttle Mode" to keep up with or to pass faster traffic. I would also highly recommend that people install an upgraded S.R.A.I., the Red Bullet, and a set of good tires before boosting the car with the throttle controller; without these, I would imagine that a Prius C would suffer from the O.E.M. filter's slow flow of oxygen, the sluggish fuel combustion from the O.E.M. solenoid's lagging action, and of course terrible handling from worn out tires with inappropriate P.S.I. settings. Brace and suspension upgrades would also greatly help in cornering and turns.

CSuirp, Montgomery and Max Taiwan like this.
  5. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    WoW I'm impressed! Looks like you have a sweet set up!
    I agree with you about the airbox and the tires! Those are too conservative! I am thinking about opening up the air for better flow also.
    Let us know how you get along with the mode switching!

CSuirp and wildgatsby like this.
  6. priusCpilot

priusCpilot Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    It was easy to install Max. 10 mins tops!

I had the Injen intake and with the RB I'm sure you can even more performance with the intake then with out. I hear a different sound on the mid range now then before with the intake. At 3000rpms it pulls nice and with the VVTI changed you can hear the tone change with it. The only thing missing is the Apexi Throttle Controller. With that you can run ECO mode for the AC but still make your throttle response better.

7. wildgatsby

wildgatsby Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius c
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I hear that the Blitz controller is pretty good too. Heard about it a little too late to consider. It's cheaper!

"J. the WildGastby"
    University of Arizona WildGats Scholastic Action Shooting Program Assistant Coach
    2018 S.A.S.P. Collegiate National Rifle Champion
    Level 1 N.R.A. Pistol Coach

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

CSuirp likes this.
  8. Greenteapri

Greenteapri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    How long has this been out? How many units have been installed?

CSuirp likes this.
  9. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Hi Greenteapri,

The Red Bullet has been out since 2016. I don't have a exact number of how many unit is out there but I am pretty sure there is a lot here in Taiwan.
    It never made it out because of language barrier, if you ever received one with the old packing box, it is very apparent why it never got out.

The Red Bullet is not only faster at actuating the flow of oil to modulate the veins of the VVTI it also has great material characteristics that exceed OEM spec. Together with the ultra low resistance of the patented push rod and special cut passage further gives the Red Bullet an upper edge.

If you have any question please do not hesitate to contact us or ask directly on the post where we may share the knowledge we have accumulated.

10. Greenteapri

Greenteapri Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Thanks for the quick response.

2016 was the original release date. Have there been any subsequent revision changes?

Do you have any data to corroborate said claims?

michael.sfo and SFO like this.
  11. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hey guys.
    Just a fuel update with using the RB.
    The last tank I ran more liberally with the throttle, like driving normally as if it wasn't a hybrid (ie., engaging the ICE to keep up with traffic more and not caring much when using battery mode, windows down, A/C on, etc). ECO mode still off and a 50/50 highway/side road commute. I was able to get 290 miles before the middle bar disappeared on the gas gauge. The previous conservative tank run i was able to get 300 miles before it disappeared. With this run, I couldn't get the mpg past 60...just wasn't happening. It stayed at a constant of 58.5-60mpg...mostly 59.5 on the dash ECO screen. Paper calculations show my average mpg for that tank run was 63mpg...which is up by 1 since the last conservative run. Go figure, lol. 9 days gap between partial fill ups...which is the same from before. So...according to the ECO dash mpg...I pretty much lost about 5-7mpg driving the car normally and 10 miles in distance. Not bad, but I'm not thrilled seeing me in the 50's mpg range at any given time anymore. Yeah, the RB spoiled me now and I'm craving it's 60+ mpg all the time. lol. Anyway...I'm back to conservative ECO driving (without the ECO mode engaged) and shooting for the stars again on the mpg.
    (Max...when you have the time...that ECO mode off test run between stock VVTI vs RB would be great. Interested in seeing the difference in mpg between the two in that mode. No rush, I know you just got your babe back from that fenderbender (y)).

Update on the VVTI filter:
    I attempted to change it out this past weekend but having an 8mm hex socket instead of a 10mm would probably have helped. LOL. Tight getting in there anyway...so I don't think i'll get far unless I take the air filter assembly out and attempt again. I'm still working on it...sorry for delay. I'm sure ur all on the edge of ur seats. lol!

Max Taiwan and wildgatsby like this.
  12. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    so you got definitely more mpg WITH the red bullet installed?

PH-1 ?

wildgatsby likes this.
  13. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Hi Star. Yes. Using OEM vvti was about 50mpg driving liberally with the throttle. Using the RB liberally was about 60mpg

14. gliderman

gliderman Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Just by plugging in this Red Bullet you get an instant 10mpg increase? Point me to where I can buy one!

Montgomery, CSuirp and wildgatsby like this.
  15. CSuirp

CSuirp Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius c
    Model:
    Three
    Points directly to Max Taiwan. Contact him here in this thread and he will let you know how to get one. (y)(y)

Max Taiwan and wildgatsby like this.
  16. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Hi CSuirp!

Thank you for the detailed update! It was a really good read! Its a shame that the filter hit a obstacle, I know how it feels. When attempting a 10 min job but not having the right tools can take a lifetime. Keep us posted on how the filter change pans out!

I will try to swap out the Red Bullet this weekend and gas up to start the comparison test. I will try to do a whole tank and post a new thread Soon or at least half a tank and see the statistics at the pump.

17. StarCaller

StarCaller Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    can't complain about that / (y)

18. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, and a little "whoomph" in excelleration as well!!

#318 Montgomery, Jun 15, 2019
    Last edited: Jun 15, 2019
    CSuirp, wildgatsby and Max Taiwan like this.
  19. Max Taiwan

Max Taiwan Active Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Base
    Can't wait for you to get your Red Bullet!! Don't forget to contact me before you decide to shoot!

CSuirp, wildgatsby and Montgomery like this.
  20. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Will do

CSuirp likes this.