1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Death Triangle, Engine check, VSC, Red Exclamation Mark Car, How bad? Houston

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Brandonholohibrido, May 10, 2016.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    no, i just thought there was supposed to be activity in the inverter pump coolant reservoir.

but i suppose you could try replacing the o2 sensors first.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Emissions related codes come and go, oxygen sensors are one of them that do just that. All the problems you've listed, I think getting good mileage is the last thing you should be worried about. The car needs quite a few items before you think about getting it efficient again. The question is if you even want to bother with a car with 250k miles on it.

3. Brandonholohibrido

Brandonholohibrido Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Well I am poor, no credit history at all, so I guess I could give it a try, part by part, I would actually love to do it my self but since I use it to work, I think is a good opportunity for tax refund to make maintenance in a shop and all that, So you say that I need to replace the water pump and the ECU and the speedometer get it efficient?

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I said no such thing!

You have multiple problems on the car and you really need to address only those problems. You blindly trying to change things will end up costing you more money and not fix your problem.

1. combination meter
    2. inverter cooling problem
    3. oxygen sensor problems.
    4. ac problems.
    5. c1300 - skid control ecu problem

I think you have a handful already

5. Brandonholohibrido

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Yeah you are right, I actually just called Fred Haas Toyota dealer ship, they said they are going to give me the Combo meter warranty amd something about the inverter breaks recall as well, they said I have extended warranty on the steering shaft, so they will check it and do it, all for free, now I am worry about that being true, bc I called another Toyota dealer and they checked my Vin no. And said that the car was purchased in October 2006, so I don't have warranty anymore since I passed the 9 years, do you think they might set me up when I get there with some kind of "system error we will have to charge you"?.

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you haven't done any of the recall items, those are available to you without any time frame attached. So the steering shaft and the inverter pump were both recalled. If you haven't done them, then those would be done at no charge. The combination meter would be date specific, 9 years from 1st day of service. So that might not be covered.

7. Brandonholohibrido

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Ok, I checked the date of the services on the page of toyota with the VIN of this car, and the first service was somewhere around 2007, they changed the pump and the steering shaft on 2012, but they said I have extended warranty on the steering shaft, so they will check it tomorrow and I can still get it, they said something about the breaks wich I think it might be something about when I am pressing the breaks and the fuel engine is going it should charge the battery, but it doesn't anymore, so I hope is something about it, they said they will take care of those 3 things. Combo meter, break inverter thing, and if its failing the steering shaft. I will let you guys know how it went later on.

8. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A dealer cannot get paid twice for warranty work. No extended coverage that I'm aware of

SM-N900P ?

9. Brandonholohibrido

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I just arrive from the dealership, the guy is doing the Combo meter failure warranty, he said that for the brake powertrain( or something like that) I would have to pay the inspection, but they will check the steering shaft, that is just a small part that in case that is loose and it's not dent they will just replace a volt.
    Now something really weird happened on my way to the dealership, the Red death triangle, engine check, the red exclamation car light, they all went off. Why could that possible be?

10. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Wow you got a goodwill combo meter warranty. Excellent!

Have you checked the oil level in your engine lately? Maybe the short drive to the dealership didn't get the car hot enough to overheat?

11. Brandonholohibrido

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    yup i did an oil change about a month ago, I drive a lot though, so I refill it about a quarter a week ago.

12. Brandonholohibrido

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    the guy from the dealership bullshit me, said that they only replaced the steering shaft but the combo meter wasn't changed bc the warranty ended, and he said that the car was purchased on december 2006 the previous person told me it was purchased on octuber 2006, any suggestions?

13. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What suggestions were you looking for? Your car is not under warranty

14. Brandonholohibrido

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    well, with the fact the all those lights went off, does that means that it was an error and all this codes are fine?

15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I don't know why all those lights went off. You can check to see which codes are still present.