1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

red engine check after drived for long distance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Vanne, Dec 13, 2013.

1. Vanne

Vanne Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all I have a problem with my car I notice 2 time when I was driving from city to province about 270km distance and speed 102km/h my car was appear red check engin sign I don't know what is problem please help advised me last time it was disappear by its self after 2 days

Thank you

2. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'd check your oil and filters first. The misleading thing about CELs these days is they turn on for everything and anything, not just the engine. It might be something as simple as your oil being low. I am a new Prius owner, so I'm not sure if it has separate sensors for all the fluids yet. I have also heard that as long as the CEL isn't blinking, whatever's wrong can be diagnosed at your earliest convenience. If it's blinking, pull over and turn off the car immediately to avoid long term, expensive damage. If you have access to an OBDII scanner, maybe try that, too?

3. Grren4ever

Grren4ever Active Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    It's possible that the fuel cap wasn't tightened correctly. Try that out!

4. sosarahsays

sosarahsays Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Yes, this, too! It has to click or it could be pulling in air and throw a "large EVAP" code (p0455, I believe), which would make the CEL go off.