1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Flashing Light

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by April Pilmer, Mar 29, 2013.

1. April Pilmer

April Pilmer New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I just got a Toyota Prius Hybrid today, and when I got home tonight, I seen a red flashing light, it was not doing this, this morning when I would turn off the car. Could anyone tell me what it looks like when it looks like a car and has a key going thru it. I keeps flashing even though I am out of the car and it's locked. Does it do this only at night time?

2. Prius_Cub

Prius_Cub Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yours has the SKS or Smart Key System, that's normal when the SKS is turned on. I believe it only blinks when the vehicle senses one of the smart keys. And welcome to the Prius family! Btw, we have the exact same model year and package :)

3. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    It does it all the time when the car is turned off. You just didn't notice it this morning.

4. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    isn't this the light that blinks when the car is alarmed too?

5. koolingit

koolingit Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My car has sks and no alarm...but I do have the flashing red car with the key. I think it's telling you the imobilizer is working.

6. desmondlee

desmondlee Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Five
    my car has an alarm - the dealer did not know it came with it - I paid Toyota to install an alarm when I purchased the car -
    when I brought the car in to install the alarm, they were too scared to install it - they were afraid of all the wires

One way to see if your car has an alarm is to roll down either the drivers side or passenger windows, alarm the car,
    then open the door(s) from inside the car (have the fob nearby so if the alarm does go off, you can un-alarm the car).