1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle after 12v replacement

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Emy77, Mar 14, 2019.

1. Emy77

Emy77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    so I went on an 8 day vacation leaving my car parked in the driveway. I come home and get the 12v battery replaced because it desperately needed done. When I turned on my car before the replacement- no lights on the dash. Get the battery replaced at the Toyota dealership- and the next day I turn my car on to get the red triangle- the orange exclamation point within a circle (not tire pressure) and the VSC light. Checked the oil- it was low so I filled it up- and also JUST got brand new brakes. Not sure what the problem could be. Seems to be running fine- I had slow acceleration the first day with the lights but now it has no problems. Fan seems to be blowing pretty hard- but is not constant. Hybrid system is running fine- atleast it seems. Took it back to Toyota to check the 12v connection and it was fine- but they pulled two hv codes which I will post once I get to the paper. I just don’t understand how the car is running fine if the hv is having problems. Could a different problem cause the codes to show? I’m convinced they did something wrong during the 12v installation.

edthefox5 likes this.
  2. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Oy. Sounds like you've neglected your car and it needs a lot of work.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    could be the hybrid battery after sitting, old cells can go out of whack from disuse. how many miles on her?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Emy77

Emy77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    If you have anything helpful to add it would be appreciated

bisco likes this.
  5. Emy77

Emy77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    It’s at 158xxx. The hybrid battery is what I’m afraid of. However the screen that displays my fuel economy indicates the hybrid charging system is working- but yesterday after driving fine all day- I come home for a minute- try to leave- and the battery is on very low charge- and I’m having trouble accelerating again. and driving around didn’t charge it. The inconsistency is making it hard to diagnose the problem

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Please tell us the codes. That would be helpful in diagnosing your problems. Any diagnosis based on your post is just speculation.

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Pay strict attention to your maintenance schedule. Increase the frequency as the car ages. Replace failing parts, low oil, dead batteries, before they fail and leave you stranded in the middle of nowhere.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

8. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Letting a car this old sit can push the aging hybrid battery over the edge.

The codes will point us in the right direction.

Skibob likes this.
  9. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Prius does best if driven every day. Letting it sit for so long killed the hybrid bsttery. If you hear the rear fan come on that pretty much confirms it. That and no power means it’s in limp mode which means the hybrid battery because of its fatal issue is basicly offline and no longer contributing power.

kenoarto and Skibob like this.
  10. Emy77

Emy77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This could be an issue- corroded connection to the hv battery fan. Can I get the plug on it’s own? Or do I need a whole new fan setup to get ahold of the connection piece?
    Thanks for the input everyone

Attached Files:

11. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    This can make the car inoperable. (It's a fun prank to unplug it!)

You may be able to buy the used part from a junk yard.

Or simply bypass the connector by connecting the wires together with a small jumper wire.
    Use quality butt connectors to splice it. (as opposed to soldering)

12. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Wow first i thought it was the plug to the battery ecu it looks just like that and starts to rot just like that one.

I have seen that fan connector rotted in the same place before. I suspect the car is leaking water most old G2's do due to cracked body seam in the upper hatch area very very common issue on this site including my own car. Water drips down that side of the car right past that fan assy into the trunk and fills up the 12 volt battery well and under the spare tire. very common. Water dripping may be hitting that connector.Get a flashlight and look in the bottom of the 12 v battery well for sitting water.

As far as that connector I would just butt splice around those 2 pins like Eric says.

Emy77, Raytheeagle and Skibob like this.
  13. ZeePri07

ZeePri07 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Id like to add I'm having the EXACT same issues. Brought the car from my dad (in FL) who said prior owner let it sit. HV and 12V replaced. Drove fine for a day. En route to Atl hybrid fan is very audible, car no longer silent idles at 0, master light brake n vsc came on car wouldn't do over 67 and would lose power. MFD is out. Got to GA, car drives fine all lights on 2 codes P1121&P0138. Fan and motor run constantly. Any ideas? 158K on the dash as well

Emy77 likes this.
  14. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    P0138 O2 sensor
    P1121 is for the coolant valve.

What code reader are you using?
    Can you see the HV battery data. Modules, pack voltage and state of charge.

15. Emy77

Emy77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    hey guys- still searching for an answer. got the codes read- there is a c1259 (hv system regenerative malfunction detected) and a c1310 (hv system malfunction decteted.) cant find much about these codes online. my hybrid battery stopped working completely.
    I don't think its worth it to replace the hybrid battery in a 2007 if It comes down to that. really hoping this doesn't spell the end for my car.

#15 Emy77, May 14, 2019
    Last edited: May 14, 2019
  16. Emy77

Emy77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my codes are c1259 (hv system regenerative malfunction)and c1310 (hv system malfunction detected).
    do I need to pay the $120 for the full hybrid system diagnosis? because those codes are pretty vague sounding to me...

17. ericbecky

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Somehow it seems you are missing some error codes.

Skibob likes this.
  18. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    what hybrid battery did you install?

19. Emy77

Emy77 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    how would that happen? I got them read at the Toyota dealership-I went back after my 12v replacement when all the dash lights stayed on. ( they had come on once previously a few days prior but went away) and they gave me a "complimentary code scan" to make sure they didn't mess up the 12v installation.. and those are they codes they gave back to me. that's all of them-however I did decline a full hybrid system diagnosis because it was $120.

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    have you repaired the plug?