1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle after MAF cleaning!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by Itsmeonprius, Jun 10, 2018.

1. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    I'm used to 'normal' engined cars so I'm a bit confused as to what I've done with my newly aquired prius 2001.

I bought the car with a misfire so after some diagnosis and checking what the previous owner had completed, I changed the injectors and the misfire was gone. One injector in particular was clogged badly. All good and I had been using the car for a couple of weeks.

Check engine light comes on intermittently again so I plug in the delphi diagnostics I've got. P3191 and P3101 come up. So I'm thinking that as the MAF might be dirty, and a Toyota original part, I'll give it a clean. Reinstalled it and now the red triangle and a rattly engine occur.

Right, I've broke the MAF! Let's buy a new one. Denso brand. Expensive but worth it right?

No change. I even disconnected the 12v battery just in case the car needed to relearn.

There is a strong smell of fuel at the back of the car and I've found it coming from the last joint in the exhaust so I'm assuming the car is over fuelling?

I'm slowly working away at this so any suggestions will be greatly appreciated.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Thanks for the info. I did clean the throttle body today, it wasn't that dirty. And then noted the amount of oil in the intake. I'm not convinced that's the problem but will clean it out anyway. I'm starting to think there is an issue with the fuel pressure. So next to check the psi of the fuel pressure.

SFO likes this.
  4. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Update. After checking various fuel pressure and maf sensor, I've concluded my school boy error of too much oil..... I've removed it back to the full stop on the dipstick and now the engine fires on two cylinders. More work to be done to get those last two spark plugs to light up.

SFO likes this.
  5. Itsmeonprius

Itsmeonprius Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    Active
    Next update: decided to drop the oil level to half way on the dipstick just to be sure no more oil was being sucked in to the intake. Plugged in techstream and noted the code for O2 sensor precat. So I concluded that the cat was getting clogged. I put cataclean in and drove it like a maniac for about 30 mins. And that's it..... car is running great and no more codes for now. I'll wait until the petrol tank is lower and then top it up again with another bottle of cataclean. Result!

SFO and Raytheeagle like this.