1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle after replacing 12 volt battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jeremy2327, Jan 27, 2023.

1. Jeremy2327

Jeremy2327 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Hello. Have a 2008 prius. Ran great till 12 volt died. Bought a new one and replaced it. All internal electric works fine now. I just can't engage the combustion engine. I get red triangle and no ready light. Everything else is working.
    I heard fuel needs to be at least half full to restart engine. Or maybe another way to reset computer after replacing battery. Idk. Waiting for an obd code reader. Until then it's just guess work.
    Thank you.

2. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    You need the codes read. You can try disconnecting the 12 volt for a few minutes and then reconnect and see if that does the trick it's possible. Is your check engine light on red triangle is on then generally you have stored codes You need to get those so you know what you're looking at basically

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    try holding the start button down for a few seconds, or press it three times.

if no luck, measure the voltage at the jump point under the hood

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    Which of those you get is important. One that won't show all the codes you have is in some ways worse than not having one (because one day it will make you post something like "I have these warning lights on and no codes" and then we'll have to say "dude, you need a better code reader").

Here's a thread that reviews a bunch of good and better options. If the one you're getting is one of the better ones there, then no worries.

Gen2 OBD2 app review | PriusChat

5. Jeremy2327

Jeremy2327 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you, all. I'll let you know when I read the codes..

bisco likes this.
  6. sam spade 2

sam spade 2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius c
    Model:
    Four
    Do you KNOW that the new battery is fully charged ?
    Did you check the OTHER ends of the main cables during the replacement ??
    Sometimes there are some small wires connected to the positive post too; if so, are all of them reconnected ?

7. Jeremy2327

Jeremy2327 New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yep. Fully charged. Cables are good too. I'm going to reinstall everything Again on my day off. Recheck everything. We'll see.
    Thank you.