1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle & all the rest immediately after Oil & Filter Change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by sydney2008, Sep 11, 2022.

1. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i don't trust dealers for much. warranty work, that's about it. there is a way to see the voltage on the screen, idk how, but i'm sure you can find it with a search.
    idk how much load is put on it either.
    i have read that some turn on the high beams, fan and radio in acc mode to put a load on.

sydney2008 likes this.
  2. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Yes and no. I often see devices that have dedicated fuses to protect that device or system. So a "X pump" has a "X pump" fuse. I usually don't expect a failed low amp device to take out a fuse for a "major" power feed (and "kill" the car.)

That said, I have seen some downright stupid designs here and there. VW's in the 90's had little red led's by the door lock knobs that would flash when the alarm was armed. Know what protected that tiny led? The 60 or 80 amp main fusible link at the battery. Had one short in the door and it burned the entire dash harness like a hot knife.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

3. sydney2008

sydney2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring

4. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    I would let them change the pump and if the problem does not go away you know it was not diagnosed correctly. I bet it IS the issue and the trainee in the oil change department had nothing to do with it. The undercover flapping is illustrative of the oil change guy's inexperience. The majority of the clips are plastic and often break when removed. The new guy was probably afraid to tell the boss he needed a couple of the 15 cent parts.

As stated earlier, oil change guys are not skilled auto mechanics much less knowledgeable about hybrid issues. In fact, at most dealers, only one or two of their techs are specially trained in hybrids. Toyota requires the advanced training for hybrid techs.

Most service advisers are not trained mechanics. Sometimes the oil change guys have more real world experience. Advisers are usually commissioned salesmen just like the car salesmen lurking by the door to the showroom. By the way Advisor with an o is a consultant corporations and governments trust and respect based on their knowledge and experience. An Adviser with an e is much less trustworthy. While there are exceptions to any rule, dealers use service AdvisErs.

My advice for those with Prii out of warranty is to seek out a good independent shop with hybrid experience. Typically the best techs end up in their own shops. Use the small shop for your routine maintenance while building your own knowledge base. When you have a major problem, the small shop that you can trust will give you cost effective options.

First, system 12v voltage can be checked at the mfd but is unlikely to be a factor in a car that is running since the inverter's dc to dc converter supplies "12v" power when in Ready (running) mode. Normally an off state battery voltage of 12.2-12.7 vdc is fine. The Ready state voltage will jump higher indicating the inverter/converter is doing its job of supplying the nominal "12v" power. In Ready you will normally read 13.5-14.7 vdc. Again that tells you the system is charging the 12v battery. At first the charging voltage will be at the high end around 14.5 and will reduce as the 12v battery reaches a "full" state of charge. Normally if the car will go to Ready your 12v battery is fine.

This link shows how to monitor voltage on a gen2 by 1:43 in the video:

#24 rjparker, Sep 12, 2022
    Last edited: Sep 12, 2022
  5. sydney2008

sydney2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Thanks @rjparker - appreciate the video!

To clarify, it was the master technician who left off the engine splash shield after he installed the new inverter coolant pump yesterday. So after the whole fiasco that was just one more thing that made the dealership look sketchy. To his credit, at least he apologized!

But I guess sometimes stuff like that just happens - we all forget stuff - and it was most likely just unfortunate timing as far as when the pump failed. I'm still curious about the debris in my engine air filter compartment and the strong smell of oil in the interior of my car, but I recognize these things were probably irrelevant.

One good thing that has come of this experience is that I am more committed than ever to taking good care of Sydney. I LOVE MY 2008 PRIUS !!!!

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Find the independent hybrid capable shop and start building trust with your next tire rotation or oil change. Everyone does screw up (or forgets screws) when they are dealer mechanics on flat rate pay.

7. sydney2008

sydney2008 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Totally agree with that approach. I had a great guy in Charlotte (Neighborhood Garage) who I trusted 100%. Haven't found a similar shop in Savannah or nearby yet...