1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle and auburn color temp icon warning lights

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by drumcat, Mar 14, 2016.

1. drumcat

drumcat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello. My 2005 Prius is displaying red triangle and temp icons. Heater works intermittently. I took it to dealer and asked them to service coolant and install thermostat. They say I need $3300 head gasket work. I took the car home. It doesn't seem to be getting hot. No leaks. I drove it 120 miles, but poor acceleration climbing the mountain roads. Any advice would be apprectiated.

2. drumcat

drumcat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I plugged in my code scanner and got only an older P0240 ( i think it's older). No check engine lights have been lit up. Only the
    big red triangle on instrument cluster, then auburn color temp icon on the navigation display

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Your code reader can NOT read the various Prius Specific ECUs and their codes. Time to get mini VCI. Many posts about mini VCI and how to install;helpful if you have a spare 32bit Windows laptop.

If you paid a diagnostic fee, demmand the codes they pulled to come to the conclusionof a new head gasket, otherwise demand a refund.

4. drumcat

drumcat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks. will look into mini VCI. Dealership service guy showed me a test tube with colored water from a "block test" that supposedly proves I have a bad head gasket. The car doesn't seem to be leaking fluid, doesn't smell or feel hot, so I was thinking about just changing out the thermostat myself? What do you think. I was charged $123 and all it says is "block failed block test" recommend send out head and replace head gasket.

5. strawbrad

strawbrad http://minnesotahybridbatteries.com

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Since you asked.

Do not continue to go for 120 mile mountain drives. Do you have AAA or any other towing service? If you keep driving this car you will end up stranded. A used low millage engine would be a better and cheaper repair than replacing the head gasket in your engine. Use Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market to search junk yards for engines. CA Sports Auto Wrecking in Chula-Vista has a 2007 engine with 76K miles for $450. A good guess would be about $1000 for an independent shop to install.

Brad

#5 strawbrad, Mar 14, 2016
    Last edited: Mar 15, 2016
  6. drumcat

drumcat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    At this point the car is not worth $3300. Just want to know if the dealership was trying to make money at my expense.
    Yes I have 200 mile tow available with AAA I drive 55K per year. Thanks for the good info on used engines. Definitely want to consider my options. This 2005 Prius has 270K now. Was hoping to get another 100K out of it, but doesn't look good now.

7. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    At that rate you will quickly depreciate any new or new car. Your car is already fully depreciated and in it's current state next to worthless. It would not be silly to find a engine and transmission still together in a low millage wreck. For under $2000 you could reset your drive train to under 100K miles.

Brad

8. drumcat

drumcat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    still want to be sure it needs head gasket repair, or if I should try to replace thermostat first. The heater stops blowing warm along with the warning lights coming on. I thought that was a thermostat sticking open for sure. I know the dealerships like to write up big ticket repairs. Just not sure if they are being truthful?

9. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    A bad thermostat will not cause poor acceleration. A stuck open thermostat will just make your car take longer to heat up. You would still get heat and the car would not display an overheating warning light. The head gasket keeps oil, coolant, and combustion where they belong. It sounds like the seal between combustion and coolant is failing. That will inject gasses into the coolant system. Then you loose heat because pockets of gas will not warm up your heater core. And the temp sensor will read high because there is a lack of coolant to control the temp. Coolant can also enter the cylinders and go tight out the tailpipe. All this can happen without any visible leaks.

Brad

10. drumcat

drumcat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Looking grim. To make matters worse, my Subaru radiator sprung a leak, but I have new one delivered to my door tomorrow. Gotta have wheels daily. May have to put the Subaru on the road until I can figure out a fix for the Prius.
    Thanks for the info. Dealer said it was low on coolant, but I thought coolant was good, because it was fresh and pink at the full line in the reservoir. So, I could be loosing coolant without visible leaks. Correct? and Thanks!

11. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. When you check the engine coolant level, it is not sufficient to look at the reservoir. You must remove the black plastic panel over the radiator and remove the radiator cap so that you can look into the radiator. The fluid level must be at the very top of the radiator neck at all times.
    2. When the engine overheating light is on, that is indicative of a serious problem that cannot be ignored. If you've continued to drive the car in that condition, especially 120 miles on mountainous terrain, then the engine probably is permanently damaged by now as overheating caused the engine aluminum components to warp. As previously suggested, installation of a used engine/transaxle is your best bet considering the car's odometer reading - if you intend to keep the car.
    3. The engine coolant system probably is not full since you say the cabin heater is not working very well. That is evidence of air trapped in the system.
    4. If the thermostat had failed open, then clearly the engine would not overheat. The thermostat is not the problem. If the thermostat had failed closed and there was plenty of engine coolant in the system then the cabin heater would work great.
    5. It makes no sense to rebuild a cylinder head on an engine with 270K miles. What about the block, pistons/rings, crankshaft and associated bearings? Those are way past end of life by now.
    6. Do you see coolant leaking at the engine coolant pump bearing? If you see a pinkish deposit on the inside of the pulley and on the AC compressor housing, that shows you the pump needed to be replaced - and that may have been the root cause of your engine's problems. If so, it is now too late to replace the pump, the engine needs to be replaced.
    7. Assuming the coolant level is low, you are wondering where it is going. a) a faulty head gasket would allow coolant to enter the combustion chambers and be burnt off. b) if the engine coolant pump is leaking, small amounts of coolant will leave the system without depositing on the ground below the car. So unless you pay attention and see the coolant traces on the coolant pump and AC compressor housing, you will not recognize a serious problem exists.

12. drumcat

drumcat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Replaced coolant pump about 2 years ago, but will take a closer look tomorrow, and see how low the coolant is now. The link provided for used engine in previous post is not valid, but thanks for all the help. What type of shops can handle Toyota engine/transaxle install? My local shop doesn't even deal with Prius.

13. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    On eBay there is an endless supply of used Prius engines from $200 - $500 plus shipping:
    prius engine | eBay

autobeyours.com

Your local salvage yards

Look for an independent servicer specializing in Toyota vehicles. Or a servicer specializing in hybrid vehicles. Living in southern CA you should be able to locate a variety of options since Prius are like mushrooms there.

14. drumcat

drumcat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks a million. Do these ebay sellers provide quality engines? Warranty? I will check it out.

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Typically a used engine will be guaranteed to work upon arrival. Your remedy would be to obtain a replacement engine or a refund but you would have to absorb the labor costs associated with removing and replacing the engine. What do you expect for a price less than $500?

16. drumcat

drumcat Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Shipping too! so maybe I can find something local and pick it up with my truck. thanks

17. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    I recall wrecking yards and auto dismantlers charging LESS for shipping to a business address. Have the engine or engine & transaxle shipped to your Prius capable mechanic.

Private Message member "Avi's Advance Automotive". He seems to have a good reputation here. I think he has a shop in Inglewood, CA.

18. strawbrad

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I fixed the link. It needed a dot com. Once again Car-Part.com--Used Auto Parts Market .
    Brad