1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle and Groaning Noise - Help!

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by mrdon515, Aug 18, 2022.

1. mrdon515

mrdon515 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was driving my 2007 Prius and the red triangle appeared, along with the check engine light displayed on my dash, and then a red vehicle icon with an exclamation point on it appeared on my touch screen.

The car started beeping so I slowed down and pulled over and when I let off of the accelerator the car made a groaning noise. I drove it home and connected my ODBII reader to it and it spit out the code P0A78, which seems to have to do with the inverter.

After turning the vehicle on and off a few times, all of the warning lights went off. I drove it around a few times and the lights have not come back on, but that groaning noise still seems to happen every time I take my foot off of the accelerator.

Any ideas?

2. mrdon515

mrdon515 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Ok, so I just took it for another drive. The groaning noise seems to happen all the time and gets louder the faster I drive. I got up to about 30 mph and the red triangle appeared again, there was a beeping noise and the car would no longer accelerate. I had to trun the car off and back on in order to get it to go again. I got home and hooked up the ODB sensor again and now there is a second code of P0A90.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    Sounds like you got a groaning problem relating to MG2 definitely not good with the noise it's making I would think it wouldn't be the ECU but I could be wrong.

4. Trishan

Trishan New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius c
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you have a problem on ABS system or the inverter pump.

5. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    how many miles on her?

6. mrdon515

mrdon515 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
  7. mrdon515

mrdon515 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I was able to get the inf codes for the P0A78 error:

8. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Symptoms of a bad MG motor is shuddering predominately from the passenger side. You can test the trans by getting it up to speed and put it in neutral. See if its still groans.

How many miles on the car and has the Inverter coolant been changed or the trans fluid?

9. mrdon515

mrdon515 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks, I'll try that. I bought the car a month ago. Not sure about the inverter coolant or trans fluid.