1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle and hybrid warning light, and Check engine light illuminated! Please help!

Discussion in 'Generation 1 Prius Discussion' started by JDirtbikerR, Nov 30, 2013.

1. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Here is my guide:
    1. Make Prius IG-OFF. Remove the engine air cleaner housing.
    2. Apply throttle body cleaner fluid on a clean cloth. Use the cloth to wipe off the interior of the throttle body.
    3. Rotate the throttle shaft by hand and clean off the throttle plate, especially the edges, using the cloth.
    4. Remove the MAF sensor from the engine air cleaner housing and use MAF cleaner spray (not throttle body cleaner) to clean the wires and the bulb.
    5. Reinstall all parts.

The point of using the cloth is to minimize the amount of throttle body cleaner used. The instructions on the throttle body cleaner can will probably tell you to liberally spray the cleaner everywhere. This is a bad idea for Prius because the used fluid carrying dirt particles will end up flowing along the throttle shaft into the throttle motor.

Regarding the inverter coolant, you are supposed to attach hoses from both bleed nozzles, leading to the inverter coolant reservoir (the reservoir cap is removed so the hoses can be inserted.) I do not see the point of your draining fluid from one nozzle into a container and then having to fill the inverter coolant reservoir manually - doesn't that defeat the purpose of trying to fill the system and get the air out?

If you don't already have access to the bleed procedure per the Toyota repair manual, I suggest you should obtain that now at techinfo.toyota.com

The procedure is painful and requires a few hours of effort but eventually it should work. I drained and refilled the coolant on my 2001 a couple of times while I owned the car. I do recall it was a PITA but you cannot declare victory over this project until you see fluid turbulence in the reservoir and the front of the reservoir should show a higher fluid level vs. the back of the reservoir.

JDirtbikerR likes this.
  2. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I'm the one who suggested the jug-on-the-ground method, so I'll explain my thinking. (I won't insist you have to do it the same way. :)

A big reason the Toyota repair manual procedure is painful is it tells you to only open the valves when the pump is stopped, and only run the pump when the valves are closed. Turn the key on. Twiddle thumbs. Turn key off. Open valves. Get 3½ little bubbles out. Close valves. Key on. Pull earlobes. Key off. Open valves. 4½ bubbles this time. Close valves. Key on. Check e-mail. Key off. Open valves....

The reason their procedure has to be that way is all because one of the bleed valves is on the suction side of the pump. The other one is no problem, you could leave it open the whole time with a hose back to the reservoir and it will carry fluid and bubbles out of the line and back to the reservoir where the bubbles escape.

It's just that if you try to do the same thing with the suction-side bleeder open while the pump is running, the flow in that hose will be the wrong direction to help with bleeding. Best case (if you make sure the hose is far enough into the reservoir to be always submerged, and the hose is full of fluid when you start), you'll just have fluid flowing the wrong way so it doesn't help air escape. Worst case (any air in the hose, or the hose end comes out of the fluid in the reservoir), you end up drawing air in, and you've set yourself back.

With a simple manometer you can measure the suction at this bleeder, when the pump is running, to be not much more than ten inches of water. And since the fluid we're using happens to have close enough to the specific gravity of water, you can get the flow to be in the right direction, even with the pump running, simply by having that hose drain to any jug that's more than ten inches lower than the fluid level in the reservoir ... such as, sitting on the ground.

The downside is, you have to watch the reservoir and keep topping it up. The attraction is, you can do away with the whole close-valves-pump-on-pump-off-open-valves-close-valves-pump-on-pump-off-yada-yada dance, and just let the fluid flow and the air come out.

Now after saying all that (confession time), the last time I changed inverter coolant I did a vacuum refill (AirLift style), which is sort of the Indiana-Jones-shoots-the-fancy-swordsman way of solving the whole problem. :D

-Chap

JDirtbikerR and Patrick Wong like this.
  3. bwilson4web

bwilson4web BMW i3 and Model 3

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    The 12V battery is good, no problem there.

I concur the inverter coolant loop needs to be addressed. The reason for trying to blow the lines clear is sometime the coolant can from a jell and block passages. Not common, it should not be ruled out after all efforts to remove any air from the system.

Bob Wilson

JDirtbikerR likes this.
  4. JDirtbikerR

JDirtbikerR Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks again, Patrick.

Chap, that sounds like a method of coolant change that I would like. Did you do it yourself?

Bob, will you please explain how to blow air through the system? I do have an air compressor.

And to all, could a lack of turbulence be causing my Prius to shut off? Or are the shutoffs related to the throttle body and MAF sensor? Or could a bad fuel pump cause the shut offs? The seemingly random shut offs seem odd to me, how when I hooked up the charged battery, Prius started and ran for the couple minutes I had it on, and how it ran the first time mechanic started it, but shut off immediately after the second start.. (no turbulence each time)..

Over the course of this week, I will have time to work more on my Prius, so I will keep posting updates.

Thanks, yet again for your input, y'all! (yes, that is my MN speech dialect coming out in type)

5. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A sticky throttle plate is a common problem, which cleaning with the Fall oil change is a great way to avoid the problem.

Blowing out the lines is something that should be done after all other efforts to purge the air have been exhausted.

Bob Wilson

JDirtbikerR likes this.
  6. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    1. What color is the coolant now?
    2. The 2001 model year was originally equipped with red Toyota Long Life Coolant. At this point, the coolant should have been drained and replaced 5x. If that has not been done, there would be no surprise that the cooling channels have developed clogging over time.

3. Since your ambient temps are so cold, I suggest that you first clean the throttle body and throttle plate and eliminate the car logging P3191 as an issue. That issue is unrelated to the inverter cooling.
    4. Once you get the engine to run reliably, then go back to the problem of getting the inverter coolant to flow. Chap offered a very good suggestion that you may need to use the Airlift system:
    AIRLIFT COOLING SYSTEM AIR PURGE AC550000 | Matco Tools

5. However even with the use of that tool, should you find that you cannot establish good flow in the inverter coolant, you may need to actually replace the inverter itself.
    6. If you should decide to try shooting pressurized air through the inverter cooling channels in an effort to clear them, you should disconnect the inverter hoses first so that you don't just push any sludge into the transaxle. Also an inspection of the hose interior may help you to decide whether the inverter has a sludge problem.
    7. Did you drain the inverter coolant fluid prior to starting this air bleeding process? If yes, what did the old fluid look like? If no, that should be done now. The drained fluid should be perfectly clear, something you would have no problem drinking if it was in a punchbowl (obviously, you would not actually drink antifreeze since it is highly toxic). The presence of any sediment is proof that the coolant was kept in service well beyond the specified change interval.
    8. What coolant are you using now? Use Toyota pink Super Long Life Coolant to establish 50K mile future service intervals.

JDirtbikerR likes this.
  7. JDirtbikerR

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    1. Coolant is pink.
    2, 3, 4, 5, 6: OK.
    7. No, I did not drain coolant before trying to bleed the system. I will do so before continuing to address the coolant loop, and post my findings.
    8. I'm using the Toyota SLLC, it is pink in color.
    Chap, when I tried the method of bleeding you suggested, I had the hose from the passenger bleeder going directly into a jug full of coolant on the ground. Would this have had an impact on the ability for the process you suggested to work, and even though I had flow going into the jug, being there was no air in the line when I opened the bleeder is the fact that I did have flow into the jug any indicator of the systems health? For example, if I try your suggested method with the line going from passenger bleeder to an open pan on the ground, if there was then no flow, would that indicate a problem? If that at all makes sense...

8. JDirtbikerR

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, I have now finally had time to take a look at my Prius again and work on it!

I cleaned both the throttle body and plate, and the MAF sensor. I was unable to detect any dirt on the MAF sensor, but the throttle body and plate were clearly dirty, with brown gunk in the body and on the bottom side of the throttle plate, as well as gunk creeping around onto the top side of the throttle plate. After cleaning all of this out from the throttle body and plate (I ended up partway removing the throttle body from the engine to get all of the buildup cleaned out), and cleaning the MAF sensor, my Prius fired right up, and stayed running! All of the warning lights still were on, so I turned it off to do the restarts necessary to clear the lights. The second time I turned Prius on, all of the lights besides the CEL turned off, and again, it stayed running. I left Prius running, turned it off and on several times, etc, to check if the shut off problem was resolved.

It became clear that cleaning the MAF sensor and throttle body/ plate did indeed clear up the shut off problem! Thank you for the advice on that!

Despite the shut off problem being resolved, there still was no turbulence in the reservoir. So, I drained the fluid, flushed the system using more fluid, and refilled it. The coolant that came out appeared to be clean, with no obvious signs of sediment.

After going through the bleeding process, I was able to get some turbulence going. When I began, the pump was very noisy, then throughout the process, it quieted down to the "aquarium pump level" by the end.

To get the air out, I massaged hoses and drove up and down the road I live on. The procedure I ended up following was:

1. Run hoses from both bleeder valves to reservoir.
    2. Open passenger bleeder, close after ~30 seconds.
    3. Turn ignition on, open driver bleeder, massage hoses, close after ~45 seconds. Remove hoses, put reservoir cap on.
    4. Drive down road about 1/2 mile on gravel, come back and shut car off.
    5. Repeat steps 1-4.

When I finished on Saturday, the front of the reservoir was about 1 cm higher than the back, and looking from the side, I was able to see vertical movement in reservoir. There was no bubbling, but clearly there was movement. At this point I happily declared victory.

The next day (Sunday), I took another look at the reservoir with the ignition on and pump running. There was no turbulence, and the coolant level in the reservoir was the same throughout. Perplexed, I parked Prius back in shop. Then on Monday, I tried more bleeding. I went through the routine a few times, and each time, a bubble about 2 inches long came out of the driver bleeder. I was able to get the level in the front of the reservoir about 1/4 cm higher than the back. Turbulence was low to non existent. I called a couple of Toyota dealers; they said it should be fine. One employee I talked to thought there were valves that open and close, so there doesn't need to be constant flow in the reservoir.

Perhaps as an aside, before I changed the coolant in the inverter and bled the system, Prius was in a heated shop for about 2 weeks, where the temperature was a minimum of 45* F. The day after I bled the system and checked it, Prius had been sitting outside, where temps were down to about -15* F. Perhaps the cold weather coagulated fluid in some already partially blocked hoses??

Unsure of what I should do, I decided to drive Prius locally, and continue to monitor situation. On Monday, I drove about 10 miles without incident. Temps were about -5*F. So on Tuesday, I drove Prius about 5 miles (temps ~-5* F). I arrived at my destination without incident. Several hours later, I began driving back home (temps about -15* F). After about 4 miles, the hybrid warning light, exclamation mark triangle, check engine light, brake light, and more lights, all came on. I stopped, left Prius running, popped hood and got out. Outside, I could hear loud fan noise from the hybrid battery vent, with air being blown out. Under the hood, I could see no leaks, and observed a lack of turbulence in the reservoir and the same level throughout the entire reservoir. Level was around full mark. I then shut Prius off, waited a bit, and started it back up. The hybrid warning light, CEL light, and triangle exclamation light all remained on; all other lights shut off. Due to the extremely low temperatures, I decided I was not going to call a tow truck, and slowly drove the remaining mile home. I parked Prius in shop, and decided to check the battery voltage. With everything off, voltage was about 10.5V. Prius turned on, 13.5V. Prius off again, 11.5V.

At 3:30 am following New Years celebrations, this was all I did before heading inside. I now have a generic OBII diagnostic tool on the way, so hopefully I will be able to pull some codes.

If you have made it this far through my long winded description, what suggestions or ideas do you have?! Again, thank you in advance!

9. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the update, good to hear that you have taken care of the P3191 engine no-start problem.

Hook up a battery charger to the 12V battery now, and fully-charge it.

It is good that you were able to devise a suitable procedure to get air out of the inverter coolant loop, but perplexing that the inverter coolant flow could not be maintained from Saturday to Sunday.

I'm not aware that there are any valves in the coolant loop.

If you are still getting air out of the system now, then there must be a small leak somewhere. Pls check tightness and integrity of the bleed valves and the hoses running from the inverter to the transaxle, and check the inverter and transaxle for coolant leaks, evidenced by a pinkish residue.

JDirtbikerR likes this.
  10. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A new battery should have about 12.8V and dropping right away to 11.5V is too low. Worse, finding it at 10.5V, I would go for a replacement.

Bob Wilson

11. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    OP's post #32 indicates he recently replaced the 12V battery. It was drained deeply since it was not being charged by the DC/DC converter. Hopefully, if he fully-charges it now, it will still function.

JDirtbikerR and bwilson4web like this.
  12. bwilson4web

Vehicle:
    2018 Tesla Model 3
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Hummm, perhaps some parasitic load . . . cabin light?

Bob Wilson

JDirtbikerR likes this.
  13. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Wow, this is a crazy problem. Now I see that we seem to have more than one problem but fortunately, one problem is gone. All this is being further complicated by extremely cold weather. Recharging the 12V is def the best next step then reading the codes. I would really like to see what they are. Hopefully your generic scanner will read them.

JDirtbikerR likes this.
  14. JDirtbikerR

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I took a look at Prius again this evening, and did a DTC scan. When I turned the ignition on, the only dash light still on was the CEL. Then, after about 30 seconds, the ABS light came on. The codes I pulled were P3191 (again), and P3013. Tomorrow, I plan to check the throttle body again. If it has buildup again, could the PCV valve need replacing? I have battery charger going now. Battery voltage was climbing while charger was on. Thanks for the help!!

One thing that I forgot to mention: on Tuesday, on the same trip the warning lights came on, I had noticed that the regenerative braking felt somewhat stiff. Is this typical in cold weather?
    Yes, very perplexing that turbulence wasn't maintained. I had the bleed valves out when I was bleeding the system. They appeared to be in good condition, and I had them on tight. When I looked at hoses with a light without removing anything for integrity inspection, I didn't see any obvious signs of leaks. What should I be looking for on the hoses? I also didn't see any leakage on transaxle or inverter, again without removing anything.
    I'm quite certain that all lights have been off... Following lengthy bleeding sessions, I'm not surprised that voltage is so low, as since being bled, 20 miles total had only been driven.
    Codes are listed above.

Thanks y'all!

15. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    DTC P3013 means that the third traction battery module pair has a problem.
    DTC P3191 shows that the engine still has a no-start problem. Since you've cleaned the throttle body interior and throttle plate, I suggest you check whether the spark plugs are firing and the fuel injectors are supplying fuel to the cylinders. The PCV valve may be a problem, it is hiding on the end of the engine valve cover closest to the inverter. You need to remove the engine wiring harness over the valve cover for access.

Unfortunately, all of the recent engine no-start events have drained the traction battery, and this may have caused P3013. You don't have much more time to deal with P3191 before the traction battery will be drained to the point where MG1 will refuse to spin.

Make sure the 12V battery is fully-charged before you continue your work. At this point, the inverter coolant flow is less important to resolve than P3191 and P3013.

Bottom line is that your car's power train has at least three serious issues to resolve.

JDirtbikerR likes this.
  16. JDirtbikerR

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    How can I check both of these items? When checking spark plugs, on the Prius can I just remove them one at a time, put cover back on spark plug, ground plug, turn car over and look for spark?
    Oh no!!

One thing I noticed, yesterday when I was looking at the MFD, battery level was 80%. Also, I checked codes three times yesterday. Before starting, both codes were present. After starting, P3191 only. Rescan, both codes again.

Thank you!

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Yes, I would remove one plug at a time. The gap should be 1.0 to 1.1 mm. If greater, replace the iridium spark plugs now with the correct NGK or Denso plug as specified in the owner's manual.

After a plug is removed, insert it back into the spark igniter and hook up the electrical wiring harness connector to the igniter. Then devise some means to ground the spark plug shell, for example a heavy wire wrapped around the shell, leading to the engine bare metal.

Then have a helper try to start the Prius while you observe the spark plug for a healthy spark. At the same time, observe the spark plug hole as you should see the gas/air mixture shooting out of the hole as the piston moves up to top-dead-center. The engine will be rotating at around 1,000 RPM so watch out.

You should note a very strong gasoline smell. Note that this potentially results in a fire hazard so take the minimum amount of time needed to observe the spark plug and work in a well-ventilated area away from other flammable sources, for example, a natural gas-powered water heater.

OK, the MFD battery SOC sounds pretty good but if P3013 remains then you'll have work to do on the traction battery.

I think the priority order should be:
    1. Fix the engine no-start problem
    2. Fix the inverter coolant circulation problem
    3. Figure out how you want to repair/replace the traction battery

JDirtbikerR likes this.
  18. JDirtbikerR

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks for explaining the process!

Ok, so now for an update. I checked on Prius today. Battery charged up, voltage was 13.05V when I unhooked charger. For some reason, my charger doesn't work when battery cables are hooked up, so I unplugged connectors from positive terminal while charging. So this being said, all of the codes and warning lights were gone/ off when I started up Prius. Prius successfully ran, I shut it off after about a minute. When I checked the reservoir, there was movement again! And the front part was about 1 cm higher than the rear.

I also checked the throttle body and plate. It was clean in there. And the pool of oil that had been in the bottom when I cleaned said items was gone. There had been a pool of oil below the throttle body, it looked about 1/16th inch deep. I never mentioned the pool as some posts on PC indicated this was relatively normal.

After observing all of this, I decided to go for a test drive. Prius drove well, i traveled a distance of about 40 miles. Still no warning lights. When i got back, voltage was at 12.85V. There also was still movement in reservoir, with front 1 cm higher than the back. Still no codes. Temps during drive were 10* F.

Later today, I drove Prius another 40 miles, successfully. No warning lights came on, and when I returned, there still was movement in the reservoir, with front 1 cm higher than back. I didn't check battery voltage, or if any codes were stored. Temps were -2 to -4* F.

Having successfully driven the Prius 80 miles with turbulence and a step in reservoir and no warning lights, after charging the battery, here are my thoughts. Following bleeding the inverter, 12V battery voltage was drained. Prius never really had an opportunity to fully recharge battery. Then, the extremely cold weather made the already low battery perform even worse, preventing the inverter pump from working properly, and eventually triggering DTC's. I forgot to mention, on Saturday night, on my short drive home (same drive that the warning lights all came on), my radio was not working properly. It was producing an extreme amount of fuzz, that was all I could hear. And before lights all came on, I had noticed that the MFD seemed dimmer than usual.

In regards to P3191, could that code have been stored in the computer from the previous no start dilemma? After cleaning MAF sensor and throttle body/ plate before, as mentioned, all lights including the CEL did turn off. How about P3013, could low 12V battery voltage have triggered this code?

What are your thoughts, all? Besides charging the battery, I haven't completed any work on Prius since my last post. What should my next steps be, and things to monitor/ check at this point? Should spark and fuel delivery still be checked?

Thanks again!!

19. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    It is really important to have a good 12V battery installed. Check the battery voltage again in the morning, after the car has rested overnight. If the voltage is lower than 12.6V then the battery needs more charging or maybe it has a problem, even though new.

After the 12V battery has been disconnected for a few minutes, the engine and hybrid vehicle ECUs will lose any stored DTC such as P3191.

If the traction battery actually has a problem, then DTC P3013 will come back eventually.

When was the last time that the iridium spark plugs were replaced? The Classic service interval is 60K miles. I suggest that you install new NGK or Denso iridium plugs if there is any concern about the condition of the existing plugs.

I don't think you need to worry about fuel delivery at this time.

20. JDirtbikerR

Vehicle:
    2001 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I checked voltage this afternoon, after Prius sat overnight. Here are readings:

-12.21V with only trunk light on
    -13.85V while running
    -12.59V after running for five mins, temps -6* F
    -12.36V after sitting five minutes with only trunk light on
    -Hybrid battery SOC (from MFD) 50%

Temps had dropped to about -15* F overnight, I checked voltages after Prius had been sitting for 17 hrs outdoors with EBH plugged in for several hours in morning and early afternoon. When I ran and drove Prius a short distance for the said five minutes, the radio was intermittently fuzzy, so much so that at times that was all I could hear. I've never experienced this before, except Tuesday night before warning lights all came on. When I started and drove Prius during the five minutes, the orange turtle light was on the entire time, despite the blue temp light going off after about three minutes. The orange turtle light was also on Tuesday night, for the entire trip in which the warning lights came on. Tuesday night, on the way to my destination, the orange turtle light had been on for part of the trip. In all instances, I responded as the manual directs, and did not accelerate hard. What temps does the orange turtle light usually come on at?

I'm unsure when the spark plugs were last changed. I'll replace those next. Would that be a good time to replace the PCV valve also, or can they easily enough be accessed without removing windshield wipers, plastic shroud, etc?

In regards to P3191 being present when I checked DTC's, before I pulled codes, the battery had not been unplugged. So, even though the check engine light had turned off on its own following cleaning of MAF sensor and throttle body, could the code have been stored, then showing up when I checked the DTC's? Or could have low 12V battery voltage have triggered both P3191 and P3013? When warning lights came on Tuesday night, Prius did not shut off on its own.