1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle and overheating icon on display

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by Marcipaw, Oct 15, 2016.

1. Marcipaw

Marcipaw Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    IMG_2103.JPG IMG_2104.JPG After replacing inverter coolant valve thats what I get, no issues before exept code p1121 which was that valve, techstream cant find any DTCs

2. Kate Harvest

Kate Harvest Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I think you may have replaced the wrong coolant valve. This looks like an issue with the ICE coolant, not the inverter coolant, to me.

How's your ICE coolant level? The reservoir for the ICE coolant is between the ICE and the radiator, towards the front... Usually kinda hidden underneath the plastic splash guard.

3. exstudent

exstudent Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    3-way coolont control valve is tied to the ICE loop. You most likely have insufficient coolant level INSIDE the radiator b/c you did NOT bleed ALL of the air out of the engine cooling loop. Thus the overheating warning. Go back and bleed again.
    Cooling Loop-ICE.jpg

The radiator overflow bottle can be at the appropriate level (between the two marks on the bottle), which clearly does not mean the radiator is full.

The Inverter pump is likely functioning correctly, as you report no DTCs reported by Techstream. However, to rule out the Inverter pump, make the car IG-ON then check the Inverter reservoir for fluid movement. As you can see, the Inverter cooling loop is separate and independent of the ICE cooling loop.
    Cooling Loop-Inverter.jpg

#3 exstudent, Oct 15, 2016
    Last edited: Oct 15, 2016