1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle as I was driving home from purchasing :(

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Blind Dentist, Feb 6, 2018.

1. Blind Dentist

Blind Dentist New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Just bought a used 2009 Prius touring model 114k miles. Not sure of the exact model typle but it has back-up camera, leather, navigation, is this the four touring?

Anyway, I took it out for a test drive and everything looked fine, no leaks, or warning lights. After I purchased the vehicle about 15 miles on the freeway the:

Red triangle came up
    orange (!) came up
    VSC light came on.

Car drove fine, no changes except it wouldn't allow me to use the cruise control. On the "Energy" display the battery appeared to be charging normally, no erratic behavior. I pulled over and shut off the vehicle. When I turned it back on the red triangle was still illuminated but NOT the orange (!) symbol or VSC symbol. After driving another 2-3 miles the (!) and VSC symbols did come back on.

After reading the other threads I'm really hoping this is just the inverter coolant pump. I haven't been able to check for circulation yet as it was dark at the time.

My question is does this sound like the pump or the dreaded hybrid battery? Did the 2009 models have this issue like the previous years?

Thanks in advance, I'm kind of depressed after doing all my research and then having this warning light come on as I'm driving home.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Look for turbulence in the coolant reservoir. I think that's the most likely cause

3. Blind Dentist

Blind Dentist New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thank you, I really hope it is. Another thing I remembered: the check engine light was on before I purchased the vehicle, the codes came back as the coolant temperature sensor and gas cap. Not sure if that helps.

4. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I hope the dealer or whoever you bought it from gave you a steep discount. Kinda weird otherwise that you bought it knowing it had issues.

If it turns out to be an expensive repair I'd go back for a refund. Not cool.

Sounds like you know your way around cars though. Good luck.

5. Blind Dentist

Blind Dentist New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Yeah I'm not real happy with the seller. Seems like a nice enough guy and it looks like he's going to help me out but it is odd that the light came on while I was driving home from the purchase... a little shady. I was fine with the check engine light for the gas cap and he said he would replace the coolant sensor "no charge".

macmaster05 likes this.
  6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How do you know it's the gas cap? The codes don't automatically point there

7. Blind Dentist

Blind Dentist New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Good point, I don't know its the gas cap but it happened right after filling up the tank (according to him) and I had the codes checked by a third party mechanic and he told me it was most likely the gas cap. Of course the codes don't specifically say "gas cap" but it was the one that has to do with vapor or something like that.

8. Dxta

Dxta Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I hope there wasn't some kind of problems with the car, before it was sold to you.

Some dealers could be...They'd just clear off any codes, and when you drive off from the lot, you're faced with problems.

It appears to me your problem isn't the inverter pump, but might ha e something to do with the battery?!

9. Blind Dentist

Blind Dentist New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I called the dealership and spoke with the guy who sold me the vehicle. He was very nice and said that he would come by my work and fix it (if he could) otherwise he will take it back and fix it at the garage. I don't believe he's a shady guy but who knows.

Do you mean the main battery or the auxiliary battery? I don't mind paying a couple hundred bucks for a small repair but I really don't want it to be the main hybrid battery.

10. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I can’t remember exactly but I might have had a similar issue when I had my 2009 touring. The check engine light went on and it was covered by a recall. Think I suspected the same issues as you when I came to priuschat for help. Let me see if I can dig up my post. It was a couple years ago.

11. macmaster05

macmaster05 Senor Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
  12. Blind Dentist

Blind Dentist New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    That would be great. I was reading a few of the other threads but couldn't find one specifically for the 2009 model and was wondering if it too had a coolant pump issue.

Thanks again for your help. I'm sure it will all get taken care of I just don't like the unknown and stress about it until a plan is made. Just my personality I suppose

13. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!

What were the codes the third party mechanic reported finding, 'specifically'.

Was this vehicle purchased from a Toyota dealer in El Paso?

14. Blind Dentist

Blind Dentist New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Thanks SFO. I'm originally from Santa Rosa just about an hour from San Fran.

I really should have taken a photo of the error codes that was foolish on my part to not record them.

I purchased the vehicle from a used car dealer here in El Paso, not a certified Toyota dealer.

The mechanic came out and replaced the gas cap, coolant sensor, and reservoir pump at no charge. All lights are off for now, I'll keep you updated if any pop up on my ride home.

Looks like I got lucky dealing with a reputable seller who is willing to fix it. He could have left me hanging and it may have been a bigger issue. I appreciate all your comments and willingness to help. I'll definitely be visiting this site more often.

SFO likes this.
  15. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did you see him replace all these parts or did he just tell you all these parts are replaced. I can't imagine all three parts that he replace were bad and he sold you the car in that condition

exstudent likes this.
  16. Blind Dentist

Blind Dentist New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Haha, I like you JC always thinking. Yes asked to see the old parts that he took out. I was working while he was doing most of the repairs so there's always a chance he had some spare ones he showed me.

I got his personal cell phone number and he gave me his home address and a photograph of his driver's license.

I agree that it would be odd if all three parts were bad all at once but I did know about the gas cap and sensor before purchasing the vehicle so really it was just that coolant pump that surprised me.

17. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Given the miles and your locale its most likely the hybrid battery throwing a ground fault.
    Mainly because how frequently we are seeing this now.

You can disconnect the 12 volt battery neg wire and that clears the codes and resets the car till it detects another ground fault. Usually from the battery where it has leaking electrolyte that conducts to ground. Hi voltage leakage is highly monitored in this car.
    Sometimes it wont throw codes again for quite a while after clearing it sometimes it will throw codes 15 mins or 15 miles later. A nefarious seller may hope the codes don’t come back for a few weeks.
    Either way the hybrid battery has to be replaced or whack a mole rebuilt.

You can search the Toyota service database and see how many times its seen an authorized Toyota dealer service center and what they did to the car. Alot of used Prius that need a hybrid battery are traded in for a new Toyota and then sent to auction. The dealer knows what it needs and will not sink $3000 in it for a new battery . They clear the codes with techstream And ship it to the auction.
    Jimmy bobs used car lot buys it and if smart enough pulls the neg lead and clears it again.
    And No Warranty. Sign here.

Go to toyota.com/owners and join the forum. Have your insurance card ready as you must input the VIN. then you will see the cars service life at the dealer.

Many a buyer has seen the car was traded in on the spot after throwing battery codes. If you see any codes listed list them here including there subset codes like XXXX-XXX.

#17 edthefox5, Feb 6, 2018
    Last edited: Feb 6, 2018
  18. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Wonder if this could be one of those hurricane / flood vehicles?

Guessing they would all be properly totaled out and titled as salvage?

exstudent, Raytheeagle and edthefox5 like this.
  19. Blind Dentist

Blind Dentist New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    After he replaced the coolant pump all the major dash lights went off so that's good but recently the check engine light came on. Pulled the codes at Autozone.

P1116 - Coolant Temperature Sensor Circuit Stack for Coolant Heat Storage System

According to Autozone its either a blockage in the coolant system or the coolant temperature sensor. On my way to work this morning I turned on the heater full blast and it was coming out hot. To me that shows there is coolant flowing through the heater core (unless these Prius' are different). So maybe the guy didn't replace the sensor?

20. Blind Dentist

Blind Dentist New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Also, this car was bought by the dealer from an old lady in New Mexico. El Paso is in far west Texas, no where near the hurricanes but anything's possible I suppose. I'd just like to rule out the "easy" fixes before jumping to ground faults.