1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle/CEL/Red car with exclamation point on screen

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Tboy160, Oct 4, 2018.

1. Tboy160

Tboy160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2008 Prius 230,000 just purchased months ago.
    Just drove down Mount Washington, which pushed my traction battery all the way full, almost never happens. Couple hours later while on the expressway, the Red Triangle, CEL, and red car with exclamation point came up, I think I was in cruise control because it hesitated. Seemed to drive fine after. I stop, check oil, coolants and battery (12v) all are good. This is my first long trip in this car. Mileage has been lower than my work commute trips. 48-53 for work. 41-45 on this trip. I attributed the difference being so much more weight.
    AutoZone read codes, but their computer showed nothing. 12v Battery tested good. I am 700 miles from home though. I disconnected the battery to reset codes, they all disappeared. No idea what happened.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    You'll need to find a Toyota Hybrid aware scanner, not all scanners can read hybrids properly.

In the future you can try additional auto shops or just procure you own device.

Now you have to wait until the code(s) are thrown again :unsure:

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Tboy160

Tboy160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    There is also a yellow ! In a circle with brackets/parenthesis around it. Quick search shows something with brakes.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    How did you check coolant when your car was hot? You need to open the radiator cap, not just look at the reservoir level

Skibob likes this.
  5. Tboy160

Tboy160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    So, that would presume the reservoir isn't functioning properly and low coolant is my issue?

6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Not necessarily, you check at the radiator to be sure your system does not have a leak. Under certain conditions the system will leak and the reservoir will be full, even if the radiator is empty. Verifying your coolant level is just making sure that is not your problem. It may well be something else.

SFO likes this.
  7. Tboy160

Tboy160 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Update, read the code, needed coolant pump, easy fix. Around $150.00