1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle + CEL

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by QuillBin, Apr 2, 2016.

1. Joan067

Joan067 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    ok, this must be it. nothing in sight. had a ppr towel, inserted rolled- abt 2-3 inc. not wet

Attached Files:

Hanging on with 286k likes this.
  2. Joan067

Joan067 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I pulled out the dip stick and there are no real marking lines. It has two 'dimples' are those the marks ? the fluid is almost clear, i just had an oil change at walmrt.

Attached Files:

3. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Now you can understand why I said you must check the radiator itself. You probably have a leaking engine coolant pump. In the meantime fill the radiator with water so that you won't damage the engine further, then take your car in for service.

The oil level should be near but not exceed the top dimple. Do not allow the oil level to drop below the bottom dimple. Check the oil when the car is off, and parked on a level surface.

#23 Patrick Wong, Jul 29, 2017
    Last edited: Jul 29, 2017
    Hanging on with 286k likes this.
  4. Joan067

Joan067 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    would that affect the ac ?

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The dimples indicate the low (at the bottom) and the full (top) marks. Use your ppr towel to wipe the dipstick clean. Then replace the dipstick all the way back in. Wait 10 secs and then pull it out again. Hold it horizontal and look where the oil is in relation to the dimples. Take a photo and post if you can.

6. Joan067

Joan067 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    that is the photo i posted. You really can't see the oil level in the photo. it is just below the top dimple.
    so I expect it is ok, not overfilled, but they did say it was 1 qt low.
    well it's been about 5 mos.. but maybe 5k miles if that. couldn't read the dealer tag.
    My mileage isn't too bad for an 11 yr old car..
    getting ~43-45 on highway... around town less..

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, ok, can't really tell from that photo. But from wha you say the oil level is nothing to worry about. If it is "just below the top dimple", it will not be a 1 quart low. It would need to be 2/3 down to be 1 qt.

So just need to get the radiator filled and then the overflow reservoir. If you can get to your Toyota part counter without using the Prius, you could pick up a gal of Toyota SLLC to top it off.

8. Joan067

Joan067 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I don't live local to any dealers, until I can get it fixed, would there be any harm in using regular or what type from auto parts or walmart. some are just the same, diff price. It is hot here(90's), so i would rather use some sort of coolant than water.
    they gave me a quote on parts of abt $120+ I guess 2-3 hrs wk.. that's where the real cost comes in

9. ericbecky

ericbecky Hybrid Battery Hero

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That could definitely be a 12v battery issue.

Start there. Get it checked at any Batteries Plus location for free. Or most auto parts stores.

jerrymildred likes this.
  10. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Either use water, or use the correct Toyota coolant. Do not mix a generic coolant into the system, that will totally contaminate the system.

11. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    From that first picture, it looks like your inverter coolant is low, too. Insufficient coolant for either the engine or inverter will lead to very expensive repairs. You should add Toyota Extra Long Life coolant. Here's an Amazon link. I think that price is comparable to what they charge at my local dealer.

So, it looks like oil is OK, but you need engine coolant, inverter coolant, and almost certainly a new 12V battery asap. As I mentioned, the battery is super easy and free to have tested at any auto parts store. I suggest you enlist some experienced help with the fluids, but for now, just get some in there.

Edit to add: +1 to what @Patrick Wong said about using the right coolant.

12. Joan067

Joan067 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Walmart carries a brand that has in big display it is a substitute for manufacturer coolant.. pink, premixed abt $9 a gallon. valvo-back.jpg Valvo-frnt.jpg Specifically says on the back it is designed for hybrids, and a bunch of stuff relating to composition it is and is not.
    a neighbor is going to replace the pump for me, said the other part is ok... parts store says it's only $41.
    Dealer wanted $425 for job. Their parts wanted $120
    Found a video on YouTube changing one on a 2006 or 7 .. looks the same.
    All of my dealers are at least 40 min drive, so this will have to do.

13. Joan067

Joan067 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I want to say you folks are great! you know your stuff. Glad I found this site.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    all the best!(y)

15. Joan067

Joan067 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    and a big Thank you for the help ! (I may be back!)

16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    pleasure.

17. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have posted about how to replace the engine coolant pump several years ago. This is not a trivial task because it is not easy to get air out of the coolant loop. If you hear air bubbling when running the cabin heater that is evidence of air in the system.

18. Joan067

Joan067 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    1 more question: I can't find how much coolant it holds. I put in 1.5 gals..and not full, but it's dark out now.

FOUND IT.. ~9 QTS.

#38 Joan067, Jul 29, 2017
  19. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That sounds ok, but again mixing different brand coolants is not recommended. As you are changing the engine coolant pump, do a total drain of the old fluid and refill with the new.

Note also, do not confuse the word hybrid in the phrase "phosphated hybrid organic acid formula" to mean it is for hybrid cars. The hybrid in this context is talking about a formulation that is a combination of two coolant formulation technologies and hence a hybrid, specifically is a combination of low phosphates and organic acids. It has nothing to do with whether it can be used in hybrids. It just so happens that Valvoline says that this formulation can be used in any Toyota (that calls for Toyota SLLC), which is pretty much all their modern cars, including the Prius.

The user manual calls for an equivalent coolant to be "high quality ethylene glycol based non silicate, non-amine, non-nitrite and non-borate coolant with long life hybrid organic acid technology".

This one specifically says it is silicate and borate free, but does not mention whether it is ethylene glycol based, non-amine or non-nitrite. (Apologies if some of this is on the cutoff portion of the label.) This is the problem you have when trying to find equivalent product. This is why I am very cautious, and all the non-OEM products I looked at were maybe slightly cheaper or not cheaper at all. Anything that was significantly cheaper was not the correct formulation. You may not find this, but I went with the Toyota in the end, and then there is no question if it is the right stuff or not and I avoided all the aggravation just for the sake of maybe saving a couple of dollars.

Even though you are not close to a dealer, you can order Toyota SLLC online (like from Amazon in the link above) and have it delivered, sometimes the next day.

[EDIT] Sounds like the Valvoline has been purchased and added. Oh well.

#39 dolj, Jul 29, 2017
  20. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Unbelievable, that implies the engine was subjected to substantial overheating. It may have suffered permanent damage, like a warped cylinder head. But you won't know until the coolant pump is replaced and you have a chance to take the car for a long drive.