1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle, Cells 9 and 10 on their way out

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Jovox64, Jan 6, 2019.

1. Jovox64

Jovox64 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I had a Toyota guy that moonlights diagnose my car the other day and the codes for cells 9 and 10 being low came up. He said he could replace the cells for 450 but other cells could end up dying etc etc etc. I've seen places on craigslist(yes I know, be leery) that are offering batteries with 6-12 months warranty for between 500-750.

Lets say I do try to replace the dead cells. I had read somewhere in the past about having to cycle/rebalance all of the cells and this toyota guy didn't seem to mention it. Would it be worth it to just get the cells replaced? Should I give one of the CL outfits a try? If not either of those options, what is a trusted place to pick up a battery? I'd prefer to keep the costs under 2k and actually under 1.5k. I do understand this might not be possible but I don't have much saved up at the moment and I've had the red triangle for about 2 weeks now and I'm averaging about 80 miles a day commuting. Please hook me up with some recommendations. Most of the ones I did come across on here were older posts so I was hoping for some more recent experiences.

Also, sorry to post yet another RTOD post. Please have mercy on me!

*edit* Car has 114,700 miles. Thanks to whoever moved this tread!

2. audiodave

audiodave Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    Five
  3. Jovox64

Jovox64 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  4. kenoarto

kenoarto Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Read the threads with the newer posts. Rebuilds freqently fail after a year or so. Genuine Toyota battery is $1600-1800 + tax and install. Experimental "2K" design is $1600 taxes with shipping included. Labor is about $500.

5. Jovox64

Jovox64 New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    search the salvage yards for low mile battery

7. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    2k1’s battery would be your best bet with the Toyota guy doing the install for you. Then you can take the good cells and sell them. At least you would get the labor costs back, if not more.

audiodave likes this.