1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle help: P0A93 Drive Motor "B" Performance

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by NoThisIsPatrick, May 22, 2023.

1. NoThisIsPatrick

NoThisIsPatrick New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    I have a 2007 prius and I already replaced the inverter water pump (did that before this code, unrelated), and can verify that it is indeed still functioning. From what I can tell, usually the P0A93 is a reference to the inverter pump but mine says:

P0A93 Drive Motor "B" Performance

and I'm not sure what to make of that, having trouble finding info online about what to check. Anybody have any ideas?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    Was that a new OEM pump from a dealer, or something aftermarket from online?
    The search feature (even the advanced search) on this site in currently working (again). Here is an older workup for DTC P0A93 : https://share.qclt.com/%E4%B8%B0%E7%94%B0%E6%99%AE%E7%91%9E%E6%96%AF%E5%8E%9F%E5%8E%82%E8%8B%B1%E6%96%87%E6%89%8B%E5%86%8Cpdf%E6%A0%BC%E5%BC%8F/repair%20manual/04pruisr/05/21bpm/0a93346.pdf

Knowing the INF (subcode or detailed code) would help narrow down the problem, but the workups are both the same in this case.

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

3. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    What's always important is the code itself, and whatever words are shown next to it are almost always vague, often unhelpful, and sometimes just plain wrong. The code itself is all that comes from the car. The fortune cookie words are being supplied by some list inside the scan tool you're using, or by some web search.

Because all codes in the P0 range are standardized by SAE, you should be able to look up P0A93 pretty much anywhere and get the right fortune cookie any place you look. (Note! this is very much not true for other codes in the "manufacturer defined" ranges! You'd better look those up right in the repair manual for the car you've got, or you'll be sent up totally wrong trees.) Sure enough, pretty much anywhere you search for P0A93, you see the correct fortune cookie, which is "Inverter 'A' Cooling System Performance".

So the fortune cookie you're being shown (either from the list built into whatever scan tool you're using, or from some unlucky web search) is just plain wrong.

Pro tip: always be sure to spell the codes right when you search for them, including the second character always being a digit 0, 1, 2, or 3, never a letter O. If you do a web search for the code misspelled, two things happen: (1) you don't get as many results, and (2) you get more results from people who don't know what they're doing.

[​IMG]

#3 ChapmanF, May 23, 2023
    Last edited: May 23, 2023