1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

RED Triangle light on (PS) off

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by suprat04r, Jun 24, 2012.

1. priusro

priusro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Just a brief update: changed the EPS ECU last night and the steering did not improve. I am now 100% that the faulty part is the steering motor, as when turning the wheel there is a subtle grinding noise and vibration in the wheel, even with minor turns.
    Did anyone else had these symptoms?
    What could be the reason for a faulty motor? Vibration, poor road condition or is this normal wear and tear for 7 years and 100.000 miles?
    I am now searching for a salvaged steering column at a reasonable price and preferably not from a front collision car and waiting for a labor price quotation from the dealer.

2. nh7o

nh7o Off grid since 1980

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There is no way to know why one particular steering motor fails without taking it apart. It is not normal in any case. In the case of worn or stuck brushes, a technically sophisticated tap with a hammer could get the brushes to reseat and restore function for a while.

3. priusro

priusro Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That's too sophisticated for me :)
    Will dismantle it and see what the internal damage is. I suspect that there is a high chance I could refurbish it and either keep it as a spare or sell it and recover some of the expenses.
    Found a used steering column for 100$, just hoping is not DOA.