1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle, no code, reset, then nothing (2002 Prius)

Discussion in 'Newbie Forum' started by primuspaul, Jun 13, 2014.

1. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I went to start my car and got a Red Triangle with the "Hybrid System" alert on the MPG screen. I drove it about 20 miles and car drove fine. Got a generic ELM + Laptop code reader when I got home and it saw no codes. I reset the codes and tried starting the car a few times, and the error did not come back.

I do remember 3 strange things when I got into the car right before the triangle.

1. I had a phone in the car that I left on, but it was off when I got in. It was NOT a very hot day. In fact, rather cool for this time of year around here. I held the button to turn it on and the battery was full, but the "phone was turned off because battery overheated" message was there. NEVER happened to that phone at any other time, did not even know it could happen.

2. Dashboard of car was a bit hot for the temperature outside.

3. Just as I got into the car, the sunny day turned into a major storm, with flood warnings in the area, and lots of lightning/electrical activity.

Could the storm have caused this? Is there anything to worry about? 20 miles I drove for, the car drove as usual.

2. haole man

haole man Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I've seen lightning do some strange things without a direct strike, such as fuse the control box for my well pump. There could also have been an interaction between the phone and the car. Probably a rare event, but I'd make sure the phone is off if left in the car.

3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The car threw Hybrid Codes and apparently your Elm can't decode them. Too bad you dumped the codes they would have told you exactly what it was unhappy about. On a 2002 start thinking about a new Hybrid Pack.

Cabin temp may have gotten excessive and overheated the hybrid pack maybe? If your car does not have a real good tint job on the hatch window and that hatch package cover is not extended the hybrid pack area takes a real sun beating and can quickly overheat.
    heat is the killer on the Hybrid pack. Whether from external or load heat.

You didn't post your area you live so no idea what your weather is like.

On mine to extend Hybrid pack life I extend the roll out package cover and then built a little foil insulator that fits on top of that package cover. I used a foam foil covered cover sheet of poly insulation cut to exact size to the hatch area. The foam come in 4 x 8 sheets at Home Depot used to insulate wall's.

Now the car can sit out in the sun and that hatch floor area stays cool. In fact I have only heard the battery fan come on once in 7 years and that was because it sat in the sun all day on a blazing hot cloudless Florida day pre foam sheet. After I herd that fan come on I realized what was happening and dealt with it.

Good tint job...insulated foam sheet...and always put Heat Shield Sun Shade in the front window. Alot of electronics in the cabin that don't need to get 110 degree's everyday.

Its amazing how many people down here with brand new cars don't even put in a window shade in there car. Car interior gets like 125 degree's down here. Stupid.

4. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    I'm from the New York City area.

I don't think I understand what you mean by hatch cover, heat shields, etc... Could you list out exactly what modifications you made, where they went, how you installed them and what they were made from?

That said, I also noticed some CFL bulbs burned out simultaneously in my house right after the electrical storm, so maybe it did play a role. Ran car a few feet again, still no triangle.

Regarding getting a new battery pack if this one goes bad, what makes more sense? Getting a rebuilt one or a used one from a crashed prius? What is the "hatch window?" After doing some reading, it looks like my state does not allow windshield or front side window tinting. Appears rear view window and rear side windows can be tinted, but then I have to install dual side mirrors.

#4 primuspaul, Jun 14, 2014
    Last edited: Jun 14, 2014
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Oh you have a 2002...sorry thought it was a Gen2 with a hatch. Your already covered as you have no hatch.

Lots of threads of Battery pack replacements here just search but not alot of G1's though. Lots of rebuilders now.

Sounds like you took a lightning ground strike near your home. May have been close to the car and caused your issue. Rare but very possible.
    Look around your property and the roof area for damage. Surprised it didn't take out your tv's. Man do I have lightning story's down here.

Please put NYC in your location to the left like mine so we know where you live.

6. primuspaul

primuspaul Member

Vehicle:
    2002 Prius
    Model:
    I
    The car was actually in a different county when the triangle appeared, so it could not have been a single lightning strike that caused both the electrical issues in my house and the issues in my car. It's just a storm that happened to cover the general area where I live, that being the NYC area. At the beginning of the storm, I noticed the triangle. When I got home a bit later, I noticed the CFL bulbs in two locations were burned out. This is, of course, very strange because CFLs generally last a very long time.

7. usnavystgc

usnavystgc Die Hard DIYer and Ebike enthusiast.

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    You know, I gotta be frank with you primuspaul. The Gen I will sometimes just appear to randomly give you codes. The key here is consistency (ie: is the code consistently coming back) and reliable/stable 12V power. If I get a code on my Gen I, I usually reset it and see if it comes back. Others will caution against this but they usually don't own a Gen I.

My idea as to what happened in your situation is that your car was doing what it was supposed to, to protect the battery. Obviously the sun heated up your car to the point your phone shut itself off to protect the battery. Your car was doing the same. To avoid this in the future, always try to park in the shade (even if you have to walk farther). This is especially important for a Gen I since the batteries are probably frail at this point.

8. NinnJinn

NinnJinn Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Just speculation, might have been your inverter. went through two of those on my 2002 before I gave up on it.