1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle, no codes again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nance459, Jan 24, 2023.

1. Nance459

Nance459 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Tom, I decided to take it out today for a drive so I could run the full battery test in Dr Prius, I got a message "poor balance block #11 & 12" , so I'm wondering if I should just take it to the dealer and have them test there, maybe we will just bite the bullet and replace @ dealer with new ones and not have to worry and take our loss...

2. BiomedO1

BiomedO1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    I don't know of any dealer that will do a traction battery repair - they will want to exchange the entire assembly for more than the car is worth. If they can find one.

3. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    If you're going to look at spending that kind of money you might as well buy the project lithium battery if there's any in stock Prius camper can help you with that seems to be a good system very strong etc so it might be something to look into I mean I just bought a battery from Toyota I paid they put $3,000 hold on my card and I got about $1,500 back or 14 and change after they accepted my return your return has to have a Toyota silver battery cover on it with the sticker visible I don't think they care what's under that cover but it can't be painted green and say green bean on it or green tech or any of that that covers easy to round up in any town if necessary pretty much any of the places that do this battery repairing and all that should have them stacked up out back The cases and covers everyone I've been to had them overflowing couldn't get them to the dump quick enough or something. If I had the money right now or had the use for I guess I could put it in the Gen 3 I would go try the project lithium battery that's next on my Prius bucket list if you will but I might not ever make it there because mine seem to be doing reasonably well and all that but just takes a minute Good luck

Nance459 likes this.
  4. Nance459

Nance459 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks so much for all your help. At this point my husband decided to take the battery they have there and pay the $2,600 to have a new one, they are also giving me a loaner car. After dealing with problem LifePO4 batteries for the 5th wheel that have been bad (another long story, they being sent defective replacements and I'm still dealing with them..grrr) he'd rather just go with the one we know works with the car that they have, It's too much for me to install myself with my bad knees. Nance

#24 Nance459, Jan 26, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Jan 26, 2023
  5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That's a good call, IMO, the Lithium battery that is being pushed does not have a long enough history of real-world usage to know what its longevity is. Unfortunately, nothing can speed up that process.

Nance459 likes this.
  6. Nance459

Nance459 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for the feedback!

7. pasadena_commut

pasadena_commut Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Well, technically there are ways to accelerate the aging, but to do it right would require a pretty big investment in hardware and time, and it isn't the sort of thing that a small company is likely to do. There are no accelerated tests like that on their testing page:

https://projectlithium.com/pages/testing-and-certification

There is a CE certificate on the top of that page from "Shenzen QC testing laboratory". I don't know a thing about them, maybe they are on the up and up. It isn't at all clear to me what this CE certificate means, in terms of testing, but I suspect it is mostly safety related.

CE marking – obtaining the certificate, EU requirements - Your Europe

8. Nance459

Nance459 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks again everyone. I changed the pcv valve today and am hoping the new batteries and that bring my milage back up, it started decreasing recently.