1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle of Death + P0A80 & P3000 code. Seeking advice

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by dougbug, Aug 5, 2021.

1. dougbug

dougbug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi All,

I have a 2004 prius with 155k miles on it. I had a remanufactured battery installed about a year ago. The red triangle along with check engine light VSC light came on. I checked for the codes using Techstream and the P0A80 & P3000 codes came up. I've posted a picture of the P0A80 below:
    [​IMG]
    Is it safe to assume that Battery Block 3 is failing? What should my next steps be? Appreciate all the help I can get.

Best Regards,
    Doug

2. dougbug

dougbug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Could it also be the inverter coolant pump? When the red triangle came on, the word "Problem" flashed on the MFD and the fan in the rear started turning on. Those temps on the battery seems a bit high but that's coming from a non-technical person.

3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Pretty safe to say the module is bad and others are sure to follow.

4. dougbug

dougbug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, rjparker! I am going to go find a hybrid mechanic today and see if they could help me replace the module and balance out the battery packs. Would you recommend I do anything else? I appreciate your help :)

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, one cell in one of the two modules in block 3 has failed.
    If the HV battery is still under warranty, then it would be time to make a claim. If not, then you have a bunch of other options.
    Unlikely that you have a failing ICP, as that generally sets DTC P0A93. You can check for liquid turbulence in the coolant reservoir.

OEM pumps will last around 100k miles, when was the inverter coolant pump last replaced?

You can look up the dealer service history by entering the VIN at : Track Your Service Records with Your Toyota Owners Account
    Sounds like a failing HV battery, then the vehicle will turn the HV battery fan on high to protect itself.

Those temps are in the normal range, but are higher than I would prefer. Do you use the AC when the outside temps are above 80F?

FYI : your posts are being moderated until you've posted 5 times.

6. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    We hear good things about a place called HybridPit in Socal

7. dougbug

dougbug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    II
    @SFO Thanks for all the info/help!! I found out the pump was recently replaced so that isn't the problem like you said. The red triangle actually came on after a couple errands in different cities in mid-90 degree heat, parked multiple times in the blazing sun, and I had no A/C on at all the whole time. I'm assuming the A/C should be on if outside temps are above 80F? Also, I think I barely missed my warranty. Would it be okay to buy two used modules and replace both modules myself for block 3? Or would it be better to replace just the one module where the issue is? Is there anyway to find out which one of the two modules in the block has the issue? Apologies for the stupid questions.

@rjparker I'll give HybridPit a look! Thank you.

8. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Best to run the AC whenever possible to keep the battery cooler, and if you can override the HV battery fan on high that will also help.

Don't drive it hard and then park it hot. If parking outside or uncovered, keep the windows cracked to prevent heat soak.
    One should be fine for a whack-a-mole job, especially since you're already working with a HV battery pack of mix matched modules.

Consider top balancing the pack with a grid charger (DIY or otherwise) after the swap to even all of the modules out.
    Check the module(s) resting voltage after the pack has sat for awhile, the bad module will measure at a lower voltage.