1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle of Death version 10,468...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Trunks, Sep 17, 2019.

1. Trunks

Trunks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hi guys,

Before I decided to post this, I read through a *lot* of other posts on the same topic before deciding to put my own post out here.
    The weather has been unusually wet for this time of year in Tasmania, especially over the last week or two. Yesterday, on my way home from work, the "Red Triangle of Death" popped up on my dash, but the car drive fine, so I got it home, and parked it. After googling the triangle of death for Prius, I found some videos that talked about a seal issue at the rear hatch that could cause problems for the 12v battery, but upon inspection, the seams in the trunk area that they are pointing out do not appear to be a problem with mine. I removed the rear covers and checked the battery. Everything was dry and clean.
    I disconnected both the battery pack and the 12v battery for a bit, but when I reconnected everything, the triangle was still there.

- Everything in the car still works, including putting it in gear and putting it back in park
    - Engine will not start, even when running heater/AC to try to get it to engage.
    - Took the 12v battery to Marshall and had them load-test it. He said that there was something "strange" going on, but couldn't elaborate as to what the issue was. They didn't want to sell me a battery until I had it checked by a "smart tester".
    - Belts are good, fluid levels are good.
    - Using the display (press power button twice, hold Info button and turn lights on/off 3x) shows the battery voltage at 11.4v with no aux items running. Load-tested, it was 12.4v before the load, 12.2v at 400 amp draw.

This is not the original 12v battery in the car, but I'm not sure how long it's been in it, as I just got this car last year. The only code the ODBII scanner shows is a P0420 for the cataleptic converter that has been bad since I got the car. I'm averaging 5.4L/100km (43mpg) while the temps are still below 15°C, which is normal. As the weather warms up, my fuel economy improves to 4.5-4.7L/100km (50-52mpg).

Any thoughts or suggestions at this point are greatly appreciated. Thanks!

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    The hv battery orange interlock is probably not "locked" into place. You insert it into the battery, flip it lever up and then final step you have to push the orange interlock DOWNWARD, it'll click and lock into place. After you do that, you should be able to start the car.

As for the triangle of death, it probably is just a failed inverter pump. there are several things you can check for this.

1. Check for coolant movement in the inverter reservoir. No movement, pump is dead.
    2. When you wake up in the morning, if the triangle goes away and comes back after a short drive, it's probably the pump as the triangle comes on when the car gets hot.
    3. When the triangle does come on and you lose your Air Conditioning, this is also a sign of overheating and the electrical system shutting down to protect itself.

Good Luck

Trunks likes this.
  3. Trunks

Trunks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Thanks, JC. I'll put everything together when I get home tonight and see if anything has changed. Much appreciated!

4. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
  5. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    That's a code reported by the ECU for the engine, which happens to be an ECU that pretty much every generic OBDII scanner knows how to talk to. What's usually going on when there's a hybrid-system warning triangle but only engine codes are retrieved is that the scanner being used is one that can't see codes from the HV or battery ECUs that would be triggering the triangle.

6. Trunks

Trunks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Well...

The battery tested good, so yesterday I went back out to the car, reinstalled the 12v battery, reconnected the hybrid battery pack, fixed a broken ground wire in the boot, and put everything back together again. Before I decided to tear the bumper off to check the Inverter Pump, I thought I'd give the car one more go at starting. It fired right up. Codes cleared, no triangle of doom... just business as usual. I took it for a drive around the neighborhood, took it up to the car wash (running the entire time). Spot on, no issues. Drove it home, and then back into work this morning - didn't miss a beat.

I think I'm going to invest in a better ODBII scanner, one that will read the hybrid codes. I'll keep an eye on the car and see if that's all it took to fix it. The road was a bit rough where it triggered the triangle of doom, so I'm wondering if maybe there wasn't a loose connection that might have caused it to happen? It used to be a taxi, and some of the wiring has been hacked (like the connection I fixed in the boot), but I have a hard time believing that's all it was that triggered it. Thanks for all your input and suggestions on this one!

7. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Fixing a broken ground wire was a pretty important detail

dolj and Raytheeagle like this.
  8. Trunks

Trunks Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I couldn't agree more, but it wasn't even a large ground wire. It was part of the set of ground wires that meet at the centre of the trunk, just below the release. Removal of the caddy above the spare can catch or snag the wires. I don't get into that area much, and with the fact that this used to be a taxi (they did a lot of cutting into and adding wires), it's hard to say if this was from their conversion work or if it was just wear over time. This might be important for other users who have the same issue with their car. It's a minor detail, but if it did indeed fix the issue with mine, it's a very important one.