1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle P0A63 possible critter damage

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Davidg, Apr 25, 2019.

1. Davidg

Davidg Junior Member

Hello All,

My wife drives a 2007 with about 215K on the clock. Yesterday, she was backing it down the driveway and the red triangle came on and would not let her go further. She turned it off and back on and was able to get it back into the driveway for me to look at when I got home.

I turned it on and got the red triangle as well. I turned it off and inserted the key fob into the slot and turned it back on. The red triangle went away. I did not take it for a test drive, but it would go into drive, reverse, etc.

I checked the codes with my generic code reader and it showed a current fault of P0A63 "Drive motor A Phase W current". I popped open the hood to have a look and noticed a bit of fluff next to one of the ignition coils and also a piece of braided fabric near the fluff that looks like the remnants of something chewing on a cable.

I took off the airbox cover to check the air filter and found that it was filled with empty nut shells. So, there was definitely some critter making itself at home.

I have not had the time to track down what was chewed on yet. But, before doing so, wanted to check whether there is any possibility of shock if a cable has been exposed.

Has anyone experienced this? Would a repair of the cable take care of the issue or does the code indicate that further damage may have been done?

2. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    first thing I woukd do is get a obd code reader that’s not generic as a generic code reader may not read hybrid codes. I’m betting there’s more than that one code logged.

Must have a obd code reader that has Toyota techstream software. There’s lots to choose from some work on your phone like torque some use a laptop like mini vci some come all in one small package and use a laptop like VXDIAG on amazon.

Be aware that although it’s launching a transmission issue you have another big issue in the hybrid battery
    That will probably soon fail too. I bet your getting terrible mileage. Quarter of a million miles and 12 years is a really good run on that battery without having done any maintenance to it.

As far as that code if you want to proceed I would first change the trans fluid and see how bad it is, is there alot of metal in it stuck to the magnet and does it smell bad. It will be jet black in any case. And if you see fluid leaking out of the CVT Inner joint where it goes into the side of the trans. Sometimes worn cv joints will beat up the seal and you get fluid loss. At 215 miles everything is under suspicion.

And as far as mice take the cabin air filter out there’s Probably a mouse Days Inn being built there too,

3. Davidg

Davidg Junior Member

I should have stated that I used Torque Pro with a generic code reader. I do have a TechStream, but it is buried somewhere in the garage and I haven't had the chance to dig it out yet. I will definitely do that.

Actually, my wife said she has been getting in the mid to upper 40's on it. I'm hoping the battery is in decent shape. What sort of maintenance needs to be done on it?

How would changing the trans fluid help in this situation? I do plan on getting underneath and poking around a bit. What I was concerned about is the safety of poking around if there is potentially an exposed wire that, if touched, could give me a jolt.

I'll have a look at the cabin air filter as well. I generally don't mind little critters, but prefer they stay in their proper environment.

Thanks for the advice.

4. Davidg

Davidg Junior Member

I dug out my TechStream last night and pulled the codes. There was an historical P3000 code, but no further information on the P0A63. I am not an expert on the usage of TechStream, but poked around a bit as much as I could bear on the ancient slow as tar 32 bit XP laptop as I could bear.

I got to thinking, that if what had caused this is the critter chewing through an electrical cable possibly exposing the wire, could this have been triggered by the engine shifting while driving somehow and causing the exposed cable to touch metal and short it?

I still haven't poked my head under the car to have a look as I am concerned about touching an exposed wire and getting a jolt. Is this a valid concern? I would assume that they have built in some safeguards against that, but better to be safe than to end taking a trip to the hospital.

TechStream.jpg

5. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Click on the snowflake icon next to the code. That's the freeze frame data. Will provide additional information from the exact time of the code triggering. There should be a subcode in that information.

6. Davidg

Davidg Junior Member

I pulled up the sub code via the cloud and the freeze frame data shows detail code 1 "302". Mr Google was not much help finding anything on the detail code 302.

I did poke around under the car to see if I could locate the chewed area, but did not see anything obvious. I've attached a picture of some of the fluff that was left by the ignition coils as well as a screenshot of the freeze frame data.

Any suggestions as to where to go from here? Should I have a Toyota technician look at it?

Thanks

Fluff.jpg

P0A63 Detail.jpg

7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    If that code is related to the critter, there must be some damage to or around the short section of orange cable between the inverter and "drive motor A" (which I'll assume to be MG1, I wish they would check their translations better for consistency).

Those connections are downstream of the system main relay, and should not be powered when the car is off, however, the inverter contains giant capacitors that hold charge for several minutes, so make sure the car has been off for a while. The recommended and safest way to proceed is to have the orange service plug from the back of the car in your very own personal pocket at any time you might be poking at orange things. (And, again, you've allowed enough time to pass after removing it.)

It is possible that nothing connects this code and your critter but coincidence; for example motor A (MG1?) could be on the way out. But checking the cable and connection integrity makes sense, given the critter.

8. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Subcode 302:

Definition: Drive Motor "A" Phase W Current

Detection Condition: Phase W current main and sub sensors of motor inverter current sensor performance problem

Trouble Area:
    • Wire harness or connector
    • Converter Inverter Assembly

IMG_3053.JPG

#8 TMR-JWAP, Apr 26, 2019
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2019
  9. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  10. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Its not going to help its strictly a cheap investigation into possible trans issue as the code its throwing is transmission related and I doubt the trans fluid was ever replaced. If its got metal in it and it smells all burnt up the trans is dying.
    I do know its having a current issue with one of the trans motor phase windings. Which is not good at all. Thats a fast way to burn up a mg. Use the SEARCH FORUM button up top.

May be Inverter is going bad especially if the inverter coolant pump has never been changed and its hardly circulating any coolant
    or it has previously lost the inverter coolant pump and was driven to inverter overheat and now the inverter is finally dying. The pump dying is really really common. At 215K you should at the very least be on its second pump. There was a free pump replacement tsb years ago.

11. Davidg

Davidg Junior Member

I decided to drop the car at the dealership to have trained eyes have a look at it. After looking at it, they could not determine the cause of the issue. They said that there were no codes set. Is it possible that this code cleared after driving it a little over 20 miles to the dealership?

They are going to keep it and see if they can get it to duplicate after sitting over night. They said that it was running fine, they drove it about 15 miles without issue. They did not see any damage done by whatever furry creature was making its home in the engine bay.

I checked the records and the inverter fluid pump was swapped under the TSB 6 years and about 100k ago.

12. Priusprofit

Priusprofit Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Did this issue ever arise again? I have a 2004 with 110k miles that has P0A63 and had similar symptoms while my customer was driving it. By the time he got to my shop the car was driving perfectly normal.
    Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.