1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle & P1116

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by zfk110, Feb 2, 2014.

1. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I got red triangle and headlight icon on the screen. I hooked OBD and It gave me error code P1116, I checked all my front, back lights are working fine, please see the attached pictures I would be very thankful for any advice.

Attached Files:

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    welcome to priuschat! do you have headlight leveling system?

zfk110 likes this.
  3. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I dont know, could you please let me know how to find out? I got fog lights with HID. Thanks

4. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    P1116 says that the coolant control valve (it routes coolant in and out of the thermos) is sticking. This is a common occurrence in a Gen2 Prius and a dealer would say it costs about $350 to repair. The good news is that it is often caused by a low level of your engine coolant (Toyota type SSL) and if you fill the reservoir, the valve may recover since the coolant acts as a lubricant.

JeffD

zfk110 likes this.
  5. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I search around and I was able to find the sensor by the rear tire, I didn't take it out, because it looks good and connections looks good too. btw how this sensor works for the front HID lights? Thanks

6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    when you put something heavy in the back, the lights point up and the sensor adjusts them back to level. in the early models, moisture was getting in and causing corrosion. i think jeff has your problem nailed in post #4 above.

zfk110 likes this.
  7. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

8. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    besides the coolant control valve?

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    There are two separate coolant loops and two reservoir tanks. The Valve is in the engine coolant loop; not the Inverter coolant loop.

My P1116 alert showed up when the dealer failed to fully bleed out the air bubbles when doing the first drain/refill of coolant at 100k miles. My engine complained of overheating and the P1116 occurred. I had the dealer tow my Prius back and bleed/top off the engine coolant (note the reservoir may be full while an air bubble is stuck at the valve) and declined the valve replacement. That was 153k miles (over 5 years) ago and the P1116 has not re-occurred.

JeffD

zfk110 likes this.
  10. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Jeff I 'll check that. I took the sensor off and it looked in good condition, I took the picture of it. I put the sensor back and I still have that light on my screen. I don't know what else I should look into.?

Attached Files:

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    did you top up the coolant reservoir as jeff advised?

zfk110 likes this.
  12. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Bisco.
    Amazingly reservoir was very low so I add up the coolant now I 'll see if it helps anything or not? Could you please find some info for that headlight issue. Thanks!

after adding up the coolant I drove this car almost 4 miles, then I got messages came up on the screen saying "problem" and after that it shows red thermostat icon on the left so I brought this car back to my house, I plugged OBD and now I got another error code P1118. I called Deal$hip and they told me just to look at they 'll charge $70. Is it worth it to take it to dealer? Thanks for help

13. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    The headlight leveling sensor has three main trouble spots. The inside of the sensor, the connector, and the pivot arm. Any one of those three items can cause the leveling sensor to malfunction and light up the symbol on the MFD and the red triangle on the combination meter.

Check the pivot arm for freedom of movement. Check the male and female sides of the connector to be sure they are free of corrosion. If all three items are good, then the problem may be at the ECU which would be bad.

14. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    jadziasman, I looked for ECU, but I only found this

04 05 06 PRIUS LAMPS LEVELING CONT COMPUTER 89960-47020 675313, I have 08 Prius. Do you think if I play around with pivot arm 'll help? Thanks

jadziasman, Bisco, Jeff
    Thanks a million. I got that red triangle and headlight icon on the screen fixed!!! :) I changed the location of pivot arm around and its all good. I got the pictures to show how its suppose to be. now I 'll see tomorrow about P1116, P1118 codes.. Thanks again for help! it wont be possible without it.

Attached Files:

15. jadziasman

jadziasman Prius owner emeritus

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    That's great news.

16. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    Just a note: as air bubbles clear out of the loop, your engine coolant reservoir level may drop again. P1118 is an overtemp alarm at the thermos so it is also related to the coolant flow valve. Just keep adding coolant as needed and hopefully the alarms will cease.

JeffD

17. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    You need to remove the large black plastic panel that covers the radiator, for access to the radiator cap. Then you can remove the cap and look at the coolant level within the radiator. The level must be at the very top of the radiator neck. It is probably much lower, since your engine is still overheating.

To remove the large plastic panel, notice there are six plastic fasteners. Use a Philips screwdriver to rotate each fastener as you exert upwards pressure on the panel. The fastener will pop out.

As previously stated, you may need to check the fluid level in the radiator and overflow container for several heat/cool cycles. The fluid level should stay at the full mark and the overheating icon should stay off. If you cannot make this happen, then you will need to visit your dealer or seek other professional assistance.

It could be that your engine coolant pump is leaking - look at the pump pulley and the air conditioner compressor housing for a pinkish residue which will shows the engine coolant is leaking out of the coolant pump bearing.

18. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two

I 'll check both places for coolant, I also noticed one more thing, there is sound like drilling before car starts, I uploaded video on the youtube. Could you please hear it and let me know what parts needs to be replaced if necessary? Thanks

19. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    The sound is either the pump that empties the Thermos (via the Coolant Control Valve, you can also hear it when shutting off your Prius as it fills the Thermos) or the Brake Accumulator pump.
    The sound is normal unless very loud which cold be a symptom of the stuck valve.

JeffD

20. zfk110

zfk110 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I looked around and I found about this part 16290-21011 Pump Assembly,Water w/ Motor & Bracket might be causing this noise, I dont know if its worth to change this part. I was low on coolant in the radiator I kept adding it and it kept going low, now I think its fully up...