1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle plus this symbol means what?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by altaskier, Apr 25, 2005.

1. altaskier

altaskier New Member

I received a red triangle, and then an unfamiliar symbol on the MFD. Does anyone know what this means? I kept on driving five minutes to reach my destination, and the both the triangle and this symbol disappeared by the time I arrived.[Broken External Image]:http://xray1.physics.sunysb.edu/~jacobsen/temp/prius_error.png

2. Jonnycat26

Jonnycat26 New Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I can't tell you for sure, but at a guess it seems to be related to either the headlights or taillights. The symbol you drew looks very similar to the "headlights on" symbol that comes on when you turn the headlights on.

3. finman

finman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Nissan LEAF
    maybe it's a headlight needs adjustment symbol, with the arrows being the clue. I know the HID lights are auto-leveling. How they do that I don't know, anyone else know? If something goes bad there, maybe this error light comes on...

4. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

The auto leveling function of the HID has failed.
    Page 6 of owner's manual shows the symbol and its description, page 124 begins mored detailed description of all the MFD warnings. Page 127 item g addresses auto leveling specifically.

5. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    You are just to fast DanMan. The lights will come on when an abnormality in the system is detected. We had one here ( another tech ) that had those lights come on and we couldn't duplicate bringing them on ( was off when came in ). One possibilty going from what I am reading in the NCF and TIS is in the Height Control Sensor. System goes into Fail-safe when Signal Level Abnormality is detected. Could a bump/pot hole turn this on, :roll: . Any thoughts guys/gals?

6. jayman

jayman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    <div class='quotetop'>QUOTE(rick57\";p=\"84254)</div>
    Rick:

If I were to engineer such a system, I would have to say "no."

Otherwise if you drove an HID Prius on washboardy roads, the MIL would always be on. I would think the car must use logic to compensate for wheel hop and/or washboardy roads.

According to the shop manual for my former 2000 GMC Sierra, it used logic to detect wheelhop from washboardy roads, to prevent premature ABS engagement.

Unless that Prius hit something hard enough to FUBAR the autolevelling. But I would think at the very least the suspension alignment would be offspec too.

Jay

7. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After thinking about it, I to thought that was a bad suggestion,Jay. I also thought of what the other tech was running into and had another idea. The region tech mentioned a few that the wiring harness behind the glove box was pulling down on the Gateway ECU connector which caused an open in one of the multiplex cicuits. This would turn on the lights and also store multiple codes. After looking for info, the diagnosis/description for the Auto Leveling lights in the manuals are very vague on how to diagnose a problem. :roll:

8. DanMan32

DanMan32 Senior Member

Vague! Tell me about it. No DTCs for it, as a matter of fact, one lousy DTC mostly for the auto headlight control which only applies to Canada.

If it went away and doesn't come back, don't worry about it.

9. rick57

rick57 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I agree Danman. If it went away I wouldn't worry to much about it either. If it were a hard fault,then the light would stay on and you would have a reason to take it to your dealer. :wink: