1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

red triangle + problem on nav screen + headlight icon

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by larry9901, Apr 15, 2010.

1. larry9901

larry9901 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello,
    My wife keeps telling me that periodically she gets the red triangle and a headlight icon displayed with a problem showing on the nav screen. This happens during the day with the headlights turned off.

I have done a search and am thinking I may need to clean the headlight sensor.

Also after researching here I found that this is a problem on the 04 and 05.

My question is, her car is a 06 prius option 7 package though. Could this sensor still be a problem on the 06?

Please advise,
    Larry

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Larry,

This could be a problem for any 2G equipped with HID headlights, if the sensor mounted to the rear axle corrodes. You could try to clean that part; and replace it if cleaning doesn't help.

I suggest that you disconnect the 12V battery negative terminal cable before you disconnect the sensor for cleaning or replacement, maybe that will avoid having to initialize the headlight ECU later. (If the headlight aim is good after your work is completed, then no need to initialize.) Good luck.

3. larry9901

larry9901 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    thanks,
    If I disconnect the 12v battery wont I lose all my settings? Would it be ok to connect another 12v power supply to the jump points? Or, does that kind of defeat the purpose of disconnecting the main 12v battery in the first place?

Also, what involves initializing the headlight ecu?
    thanks,
    larry

4. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Hi Larry,

Initialization requires you to put a jumper wire between terminals 4 and 8 of the OBD-II connector, then flash the headlights at least 4x over a 20 second period. Each flash should last one second. Make sure the headlight auto leveling warning in the MFD does not appear. You are supposed to have only 2-3 gallons of fuel in the tank and unload the vehicle first (no passengers or cargo in the car.)

It would defeat the purpose of disconnecting the 12V battery by attaching a supplemental power source at the jump points.

What settings will you lose? Driver's power window auto up/down, radio station presets, mpg reading in the MFD, and trip odometer readings. That's about it. So you can choose to either disconnect the 12V battery or not, up to you.

5. larry9901

larry9901 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Thanks Patrick,
    your response was very helpful!

your right, losing those settings is really not a big deal

Larry

6. larry9901

larry9901 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Oh, one other thing

If I dont reinitialize the ecu and the headlight aim is not good can I just manually adjust the lights with the ratcheting wheels under the hood?

7. Patrick Wong

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Well, if you don't reinitialize there's some question whether the headlight auto leveling function will work when you have a heavy hatch load.

You could try standing on the rear bumper with the lights on low beam, after the repairs are done. Hopefully you'll see the headlight beams move down after a brief wait. The idea is to avoid blinding oncoming traffic...

8. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    Headlight sensor warning. It means something is going on with the sensor. Doesn't matter if they are on or off, the car knows when the sensor fails.

Cleaning *might* do it. Replacement is easy if cleaning doesn't work

If you have the HID lights you could have the problem. The sensor leaks. Thread on this topic tells you how to easily fix it yourself, or if you don't want to, explains what the garage needs to do:http://priuschat.com/forums/knowled...04-broken-auto-leveling-headlights-fixed.html

9. larry9901

larry9901 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    too bad you cant just eliminate the sensor totally and just manual aim the lights :(

10. kenmce

kenmce High Voltage Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Limited
    You could relocate the sensor up onto the dash and adjust it by hand. It has to stay in a new position about six seconds before the lights move.