1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle question

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Dummy, Aug 16, 2019.

Tags:
  1. Dummy

Dummy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    2005 Prius bought in March. It had 150k and now has 175k. The previous owner said the hybrid battery hasn’t been replaced. The car was in great condition and obviously maintained well.

Yesterday I went into Wal-Mart for about 20 minutes. Then I started the car and put it in D. I got the Red Triangle and a warning on the screen saying to push the park button because the battery wouldn’t charge in neutral. The battery gauge showed two red bars and it drove around the parking lot just fine (except the red triangle). I shut it off for a few minutes and then turned it back on and switched off the A/C and unplugged the phone charger. It hasn’t come back on yet. Should I be concerned?

2. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Your traction battery is most likely in the beginning stages of failure. Plenty of information around here about it. Get a Toyota capable OBD scanner to start, like a mini VCI and techstream. It will prove useful later on. Plus unless you disconnected the 12v battery there will be codes logged. They would be useful in figuring out why the red triangle came on

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i wouldn't be too concerned. just put $1,600. away for a new battery when necessary, and you'll be good to go

Skibob likes this.
  4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I can see the "put it in D" ... then the car saying to push park because it can't charge in neutral ... then driving around the parking lot (which implies not being in neutral).

Are there any further details in the story pertinent to that middle part where the car believed it was in neutral?

Skibob likes this.
  5. Dummy

Dummy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was in D creeping around the parking lot. I thought it was weird that the message indicated it was in neutral when I was driving it around the lot. I can’t explain it.

I have a Bluetooth OBD2 adapter and checked for codes using my iPhone OBD fusion app. It didn’t show any codes.

It was 95 degrees at the time. Could that have anything to do with it?

Buzzkill is what you is...

#5 Dummy, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited by a moderator: Aug 17, 2019
  6. Skibob

Skibob Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    This is Prius Chat. Do you really expect that much information? :whistle:

Plus the guys name here is Dummy. Just sayin.

(I actually give him props for the name.)

#6 Skibob, Aug 16, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 16, 2019
  7. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    I've seen threads here where the grease in somebody's shift selector got kind of old and gummy, and the selector didn't always spring smartly back to the "I'm not selecting anything right now" position, and was giving the ECU confusing signals.

8. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    A common failure on the gear selector is that the plastic binds up and causes the selector to stick in the D position or R position. A related possibility is that it is necessary to hold the gear selector in the D position to get the car to move forward.

I had not heard of a problem where the system thinks that the transaxle is in N while the car actually can move forward.
    How to Replace 2G Gearshift Lever | PriusChat

In the OP's case I think s/he should ensure the 12V battery is fully-charged and the battery cables are secure.

SFO likes this.
  9. TheLastMojojomo

TheLastMojojomo Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Was your driver's side door closed all the way? If the driver's side door isn't latched completely or open while in drive, you will get this exact same message with the Red Triangle of Death. Went out and replicated it just now in my Gen 2 Prius. No worries, your Prius is likely fine.
    1566109812460~2.jpeg

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

#9 TheLastMojojomo, Aug 18, 2019
    Last edited: Aug 18, 2019
    SFO likes this.
  10. Dummy

Dummy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    II
    That is absolutely possible. I’m also thinking it is possible that I moved the shift lever too slowly (kinda like the scenario mentioned above).