1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle/Thermostat Warning - Every 1-2 months after oil change

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Tim Chaten, Feb 12, 2018.

1. Tim Chaten

Tim Chaten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I’m running into an issue with my 2004 Prius (with 187,400 miles on it). I get the thermostat warning along with a red triangle. This happens about a month to two months after an oil change, doing an oil change seems to subside the problem for a bit, but it comes back rather fast.

Any ideas on what a longer term fix could be? The other big symptom is both heating and AC don’t work that well - heat only works if I’ve been on a highway for a fair bit where my engine can heat up, never will it work idling. AC just doesn’t work period.

Would love tips on what to do to solve this - other than that the car runs great still.

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Have you already tried checking all of the fluids (engine oil, radiator, inverter)?

When the vehicle is cool, be sure to check the actual radiator and not just the overflow tank.

After checking the fluids, you might want to check for any logged codes related to those warning lights on the dash.

Does the interior fan work? (won't even ask how you drive around NH without a defroster)

When was the last time the cabin air filter was checked?

If you have access to the owners manual you can check all or some of the fuses.

Toyota Online Owners Manuals and Warranty

Raytheeagle likes this.
  3. Tim Chaten

Tim Chaten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Thanks! Profile is out of date (now further south in Maryland/D.C. area) - the fans are all functional and will blow air full blast, just no heating or cooling behind it. I’ve only checked engine oil and that wasn’t low to the point where it should make an impact. Coolant seemed normal last time (will look into the other 2 mentioned) - cabin filter has been a while, so that could help getting that swapped out.

4. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    There should be a sight glass for checking the condition of the AC coolant, a little window on one of the lines, under the hood. Watch it while the AC is cycling on/off (as evidenced by the fans in the front running/stopping). While running, if the AC has sufficient coolant, you should see just a few stray bubbles whizzing by, and when it stops there'll be a swirl of bubbles.

If you're seeing a lot of bubbles, or worse: nothing, a recharge is needed. I'd be really averse to trying to DIY this, leave it to a dealership. I know our 3rd gen needs a special oil, and I'd suspect your year is similar.

OTOH, if the sigh glass appearance is ok, then maybe whatever's going on is tied into the AC as well, some computer malfunction or whatever?

5. gamma742

gamma742 Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    Luxury
    Had the same problem, what I SFO said was the problem (quoted). I first check the overflow tank and the level was fine. The actual Radiator itself was low. You have to remove the cowl to get to the cap. I had a slow leak from the upper hose. The hose clamp failed, I replace that clamp with a new one and drained and refilled the engine coolant with the recommended stuff from Toyota and 3 1/2 years later, all is good.

6. Tim Chaten

Tim Chaten Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Another thing of note - we tried using the AC recharge kits and that had no affect on the AC whatsoever.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  7. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Now would be a good time to check for thrown codes via the OBD2 port.

The heater issue might be a faulty or stuck 3-way coolant flow control valve, codes would help identify this.

Checked the fuses already?

Raytheeagle likes this.
  8. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This seems a bit of a no-brainer here, but is the actual thermostat working?

Does the Prius have a thermostat?

If this was my 1982 Tercel, my fix would be a new thermostat and a recharge of the A/C system. That would have fixed all the problems most likely.

Prius???:confused:

The oil thing just seems like a red herring.

BTW: I have NEVER had luck trying to recharge my own A/C. Best to take it to the mechanic. And, the Prius takes special refrigerant. If you used the wrong kind in your attempts to recharge, you might have some extra problems.

Still remember the summer day when my friends and I were swigging Budweiser and we decided to recharge the A/C on my 1978 Datsun 210 when I was about 20. Connected the recharge hose to the high pressure side. What an explosion that caused. :LOL:

9. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I think the AC fluid is the usual, it's the oil that is special. What with that and the trick details, amounts to the same thing though: leave it to the dealership.

10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That was a mistake.
    The Prius needs a special non-conductive oil for charging.

Recharging the A/C | PriusChat

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  11. 69shovlhed

69shovlhed Surly tree hugger

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Premium
    you definitely must pull codes and check coolant level in the radiator asap. anything else is a waste of time. once you see what your codes are, then you can move ahead with needed repairs. also, at 187k, if you haven't replaced the water pump and belt yet, there's a very good chance the water pump is leaking and the belt is cracked.

JC91006 likes this.
  12. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    If you don't have the ability to troubleshoot this car, you can get it diagnosed by a mechanic and get a quote on all the things that are wrong with it. That'll probably be better than stabbing in the dark.