1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle, VSC, and Check Engine - New Hybrid Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Whitethug, Nov 15, 2013.

1. Whitethug

Whitethug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    Hi Everyone,

Just wanted to share my experiences so that anyone searching the forum with a similar problem can find resolution.

I was driving on the freeway when the Red Triangle, VSC, and Check Engine light all came on out of nowhere. Also the MFD had a warning, the first time I had ever seen that. It seemed strange since I had just had my 100,000 mile service and the mechanic said everything was fine.

I finished driving into work and took out my OBD II scanner and it came back with a code that said N/A. I turned the car off, restarted, this time the VSC light dropped out and all that came up was the RED TRIANGLE and Check Engine (but the MFD warning remained).

I decided to clear the codes to see if they would come back quickly (which I know was probably a mistake). I checked these forums and did a 12V battery check and it was outputting below what it should. I replaced the battery and thought everything was fine then AGAIN the Red Light, VSC, Check Engine Light and MFD came on.

I took out the OBD and this time the codes came back N/A and P3014 (Cell Block 4 becomes weak). I took a second and reminisced about the movie CB4 with Chris Rock. Good times. Then I brought it to the Toyota Dealer and they tested and found out that the N/A code was actually one the OBD couldn't read but said to replace the whole thing.

Thank god California has a 150,000 mile warranty on Hybrid Batteries because I was at 100,300 when it happened. They replaced the whole thing and I have been on my merry way.

Just wanted to share in case anyone else runs into a similar situation where OBD codes are coming back as N/A, there's a good chance it might by your hybrid battery.

2. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Thanks for the info Whitethug. I'm just wondering if you noticed any anomalies with the state of charge proir to the failure. For example, did you notice it filling to all 8 green bars, or dropping more rapidly down to one or two red bars more often?

3. Whitethug

Whitethug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    The battery on the MFD was acting very strangely. It would start at almost zero then quickly fill up to full, then drop back down as I was driving.

4. uart

uart Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Ok thanks. Yeah, rapid fluctuations in SOC (state of charge) like that seems to be a pretty sure sign that the HV battery is going south.

Any chance you can remember how long it was before the failure when you first started to notice the SOC fluctuating more than usual?

5. Whitethug

Whitethug Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    V
    I cannot say. I usually keep my info screen on consumption and generally don't check the battery charge level when driving. I only started watching after I got the red warning light.

6. walpoleauto

walpoleauto Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Five
    I would check the status of the 12v battery before assuming anything. The 12v is known for causing all sorts of faulty symptoms upon a weakening charge or a draw WEAKENING your battery.

7. Planet Awesum

Planet Awesum Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I did this and it worked, after having the red triangle on dash and touch screen . I had just replaced the combination meter.

"04-09 Prius procedure. Disable SMART KEY (button that says KEY under steering column), and insert key fob transponder into slot in dash. With foot on brake, push power button and hold the power button in for 30 seconds. Release power button and try to restart."