1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle, !, VSC, Engine light, "brake" light, after 30 min driving - consistant

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by aceb, Jan 4, 2022.

1. aceb

aceb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    My '08 has 245k miles. I recently had a problem with my car throwing the dash lights on during the summer. After a bit of head scratching and use of this incredible forum, I checked the 12v and replaced it, as it was giving 10.7 volts. That solved the problem seemingly. UNLESS I drive more than about 30minutes. If I do so, my car throws on all the lights and beeps at me with no apparent other problems. This is unnerving. Moreover, it keeps that crap up for a long time afterward, and i can't use the top 10% of my central display which is taken up telling me the hybrid system is made of an exclaimation point (the system looks fine from the maint. screen).

I have tried everything i could think of to turn the lights on, including breaking 100mph, accelerating hard, braking hard, taking turns hard, running the AC and heat, shaking and adjusting my steering column, and cursing (out loud). Nothing turns the lights on except driving long enough. I haven't gotten an exact value yet, but it seems right near 30 minutes, and will trigger on highway or back road, seemingly more often on an uphill, but that could easily just be poor population of samples or my bias.

I am wondering if this is something like the HVB enclosure fan trying to cycle on and failing (if it got crapped out by my running at low voltage etc), or possibly a fuse problem.

Any suggestions? What tricks does the car try to do after 30 minutes of being in use?

2. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Welcome to PriusChat!!
    No tricks here, just OBD2 codes (DTCs) being stored in the ECUs (computers), take the vehicle to a local auto parts chain (autozone, orreillys, pepboys, AAP, carquest, etc) for a free OBD2 scan, be sure to visit each (even within the same chain) as they may offer a different scanner and not all scanners are hybrid friendly. Once you've recorded all of the stored DTCs, post them here for additional guidance.

My WAG would be that you have a DTC P0A93 (aka a failing inverter coolant pump), when was the last time that part was replaced?

FYI : you're moderated until you've posted 5 times.

aceb likes this.
  3. aceb

aceb New Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Thanks for the feedback. The only code I have so far is the "Main Vent", which the mechanic says is a sensor error or the main air intake. I will update as I take it more places.