1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle VSC, ETC Engine Codes: P0010 - Powertrain, P1121 - Powertrain, P0A80 - Powertrain

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by comatoes, Oct 14, 2023.

1. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Is that a device? Where do I get it?

2. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I was able to snap this screenshot before the dr prius app went wonky

Attached Files:

3. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Quick question, could this all be the 12 volt battery? I replaced it about 2 years ago but my car sat for 4.5 months over the summer. It was sitting for 2.5 months before someone else saw it and noticed the red triangle.

4. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Based on the screenshot, it looks like one or both of the battery modules that make block #7 have gone bad and need to be replaced.

Posted via the PriusChat mobile app.

No, the problem that you have with the HV battery is not related to the 12v battery.

Check the voltage of the 12v battery with your meter. Does the car go into ready mode?

What device did you use to retrieve the trouble codes?

#23 Brian1954, Oct 16, 2023
    Last edited by a moderator: Oct 17, 2023
  5. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I will check tonight. When I first drove the car today it went into ready and I drove it for about 2 miles (mostly uphill). Then when I stopped and started up a steeper hill I noticed on the MFD no charge going to the battery and it staying all the way depleted so I drove it back to my house and parked it. I shut it off and tried to restart the car and it wouldn't start.

6. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Update:

Charged the 12 volt and the car goes into ready mode. I can drive it forward and reverse but from the MFD the traction battery is not being charged. I am not totally sure if the 12 volt is being charged when I drive the car either which may explain why I couldn't turn it on before. I'm trying to decide if the $1700 for a battery swap is worth it. The battery comes with a 3 year warranty. The car has 203k miles and the interior isn't great.

#25 comatoes, Oct 23, 2023
    Last edited: Oct 23, 2023
  7. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I tested the battery and I couldn't get a reading. I did not remove the battery from the trunk. I checked the 12 volt + and ground under the hood. I am able to get the car into ready and pull the car forward and back. The traction will charge when the engine runs but it drops quickly. The traction fan runs all the time.

8. Tombukt2

Tombukt2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    Base
    So with the car running you measure the voltage at the 12 volt when the engine's running You should see around 14.5 that's coming off the inverter 13.6 to 14.5 anywhere in there We should be okay on 12 volt charging now whether the 12 volt is accepting and holding the charge that's not on the inverter or the car that's on the battery. They have test for that too. Usually because your traction battery is old and all over the place doesn't really affect how the inverter is charging your 12 volt. When my traction battery was completely literally dead and the engine was running all the time my 12 volt was charging just fine by the inverter no problems at all My traction battery barely had the energy stored up in it to start the ice engine to spin everything up but it still did just barely I'm getting 36 mi to the gallon. Is the $1,700 worth it well you know when the cars running and everything's right you're getting 40 mi to the gallon consistently so there's always that or you can go out and buy a Yaris and driven carefully that'll get close to 40 mi to the gallon traveling those are basically your choices in similar vehicles same engines Toyota reliability that sort of thing now you could go newer and get a little better mileage but the cost will be a lot more I'm talking in the 3000 dollar range or so at least where I live so to me the 1400 or 1700 would be worth it for the $1,700 I'll be getting a new battery from Toyota for the traction battery so depending upon where you live things may be different The interior isn't so good If you really wanted to you could gut a junk car with a good interior I've bought several and change out the seats and the door panels and take a Saturday afternoon but it's easy to do as long as the headliners not damaged got holes poked in it whatever you're in good shape the rest of the stuff is easy to change.

comatoes likes this.
  9. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Hey folks, sorry I've not responded in awhile, got busy. So I ran some test you all suggested, for the 12volt: When the car is running the battery is at 13.61. After driving the car and shutting it off the battery is at 12.61.

I also reset the engine and battery codes and drove for awhile. After resetting the battery codes the hvac battery stopped running all the time. The engine code immediately comes back it is P0010. It comes back as soon as I reset it. I drove the car about 5 minutes out and back from my house bc I didn't want to get too far away and the battery codes did not come back. I do see the Dr. Prius Battery monitor that Cell #7 is not looking like the other cells in that the other cells are around 16.06-16.34 and Cell #7 is at 14.83. Then depending on the accelerator #7 is at 17.01 volts while the rest are 16.39-16.67.

Has anyone heard of code P0010 causing battery codes? Could the battery be good? Is it worthwhile getting an obdii for $50 that can read all the codes or doing the techstream route?

All answers are greatly appreciated!

10. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    You definitely have a problem with the hybrid vehicle (traction) battery. The different options to fix it are listed in post #2.

The P0010 trouble code is not related to the problem with the HV battery. It is a separate problem. So it would be a good idea to purchase a $50 scanner (for example, the Autel AP200) that is capable of reading all trouble codes in your Prius before spending money for the HV battery. See this link for a review of different scan tools: https://priuschat.com/threads/gen2-obd2-app-review.232741/ Look at post #37.

#29 Brian1954, Dec 9, 2023
    Last edited: Dec 9, 2023
    comatoes likes this.
  11. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I checked the 12 volt this morning after sitting overnight and not being charged and it was 12.61 volts. I looked around the camshaft to see if there was a broken wire per this video:
    but didn't see any. I also saw that low oil could cause P0010 but I'll check in a little.

12. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I checked the oil and it was 75% of the dipstick aka it needs 1/4 of a quart of oil which is fine since I usually run a little under full.

13. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Yea I looked up P0010 is related to the valve timing but it's a coincidence that all these error codes showed up at the same time. I had no check engine light before they all showed up.

14. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What will the $50 scanner let me see? I'm open to getting it I just want to see what subcodes it will tell me. Would it tell me exactly where P0010 code is originating?

15. mr_guy_mann

mr_guy_mann Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    If you want to work on your car, then I would get a scantool like the Autel. It will let you see codes and data from all the ecu's on the car. It will NOT "tell exactly what's wrong".

You need to get a copy of the factory service manual which has the diagnostic procedure for P0010. Use the search function to look in the Gen2 forums for something like "service manual pdf download". Or get a short term (2-day?) subscription to Toyota TIS which lets you access and download factory service info.

P0010 sets when the ECM detects a short or open in the VVT solenoid electrical circuit. Do you have a digital multimeter? Can you test the resistance of the solenoid?

16. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Can you tell me if it will read more codes than this one I bought:
    This one works with Dr. Prius.
    Launchh OBDII OBD2 Bluetooth Car Diagnostic Scan Tool Auto OBD Scanner for Android Devices…

Hmm I can't post the link but I posted the product name from Amazon

17. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, Dr Prius is okay for looking at hybrid vehicle battery stuff, but is limited for overall ECU reading.

And you bought an OBDII interface dongle that essentially provides a BlueTooth interface. You use whatever apps that can talk to it on your phone. Some apps are better than others.

18. Brian1954

Brian1954 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    III
    Try using the Car Scanner ELM OBD2 app and see what trouble codes it can read. The app is free.

comatoes likes this.
  19. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Car Scanner can only communicate with the ECM, hybrid control, and HV battery ecu's.

Brian1954 likes this.
  20. mr_guy_mann

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    Read this thread that reviews several scantool apps and devices.
    https://priuschat.com/index.php?posts/3290690

The Autel AP200 can read codes and data from all systems on a Gen2 Prius, including INF sub codes (where applicable). There are a couple tools that can do more - closer to what the factory Toyota Techstream can do, but you have to figure out what you "need" vs how much you want to pay.

Your OBD2 adapter is the cheapest of the cheap, I am not surprised that Dr Prius is glitching with that (you can read about it on the Dr Prius website).

21. comatoes

comatoes #GreenLife

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Got my battery out today. Before I took the battery out I force charged it because I know most module you get off ebay come around 7.9 volts. Here is what I have after testing the voltages by blade:

1 8.21 <--- maybe bad
    2 8.27 <--- going bad?
    3 8.29
    4 8.29
    5 8.29
    6 8.29
    7 8.29
    8 8.29
    9 8.29
    10 8.29
    11 8.29
    12 8.28
    13 8.29
    14 8.29
    15 8.29
    16 6.99 <--- bad
    17 8.29
    18 8.29
    19 8.29
    20 8.28
    21 8.28
    22 8.29
    23 8.29
    24 8.28
    25 8.28
    26 8.29
    27 8.28
    28 8.26 <--- going bad?

What do you all think?

I also charged those 3 blades to 8.28/8.29 so I'm going to check it tomorrow morning to see if they match the other voltages.