1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red triangle, VSC, hybrid battery overheating?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Kloppo, Aug 31, 2020.

1. Kloppo

Kloppo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    my 2009 is acting up. I know there are a ton of red triangle posts, but I think mine is a little different.
    My red triangle seemed to start this summer, after about 40 minutes of driving. I keep a lot of stuff in the trunk so I thought it was overheating. Took it to my mechanic to have cooling fan cleaned. It was fine, but found mouse nest in the blocking the airway.

I thought this would solve the issue. But red triangle comes one after 40 minutes, then sometimes the VSC and cruise control won't work.

Should I just get my 12v battery replaced? Do I have to get the $200 battery, the car has 230k miles? I'd like to just get a $100 battery, but the car does have the Smart Key system. What will happen if I get the cheap battery without smart key? Will the FOB not automatically unlock the car as I walk up to it. Will there be an issue with the push-button start?

Any help would be appreciated.

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you can use any battery, even a tractor battery. are you having to jump the car to start it?
    but let me ask please, are you here for help diagnosing your car, or just hoping for a quick fix?

anywho, my first rec would be the inverter pump, check fluid movement in the reservoir

3. Kloppo

Kloppo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The car starts fine. I just push the button and it drives. Red triangle comes on after 45 minutes of driving, and the AC works fine. Then after an hour or so, esp if it's hot, the VSC light comes on and I feel less power in the car and sometimes the AC does not work, just the blower. If I keep driving, the parking light comes on and I have to pull over for a bit.

I'm just hoping this is an issue with the 12v battery, not the main, the fan that cools the main battery got looked at by my mechanic and it's working and clean. I did not have this issue before the summer. I just want to get a new 12v and not spend the $200 because the car will only last me another couple years. Can I just get a non-AGM battery and will my push-to-start and key FOB work. Auto part store said I need "smart key" battery.

Thaks

4. ChapmanF

ChapmanF Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    IV
    There are a couple hundred different reasons that triangle can light up, and as soon as you ask the car what the reason was for yours, it will tell you.

It never fails to amaze me how many other roads people want to go down before doing that.

strawbrad likes this.
  5. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    If it starts you are unlikely to need a 12v battery. Once the car is in ready the inverter supplies the 12v at a higher level anyway. You would spend the $100 better at a dealer to run a scanner on it and tell you exactly what it needs. Then come back here if you want with codes and someone can give you your best options.

6. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    Have you checked the inverter water pump out:whistle:?

Might be the culprit given it happens after under load and a time duration;).

Good luck and keep us posted (y).

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agm with vent tube is safest during an accident because it is inside the car, but many just use any battery they can secure in there. it's up to you

8. Kloppo

Kloppo New Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds like the inverter pump. What else would cause the light to go on in the summer after 40 minutes of driving. I'll go get the code read and get my local mechanic to do the work. It's 30 minutes of labor?

9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    just check for flow