1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle warning + Every other orange light to the right of it..

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by PepoGimez, May 14, 2016.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    My first guess is the throttle body. Open the hood. Take the air cleaner cover off and with a flashlight look down the bore of the throttle boy and see how black the bore is.
    Also to the left under the air cleaner.box is the spring wound butterfly shaft on the tb. Turn that shaft and see how free it is. Should turn nice and smoothly.
    Do you have gas? Is there oil in the engine on the dipstick?

Go to youtube and search PRIUS INSPECTION MODE. Its an easy method of starting the engine and the engine will run continuously
    until you shut it off to diagnose engine run issues.

MERGED

Whatever is going on the car has thrown about a hundred codes so far lol.
    It is very important you get ALL the codes the car has thrown when u get to the dealer and list them here before the dealer goes on a hunting safari on your dime. They like hunting for big game. Your wallet.

Make sure they list them on the receipt.

#21 edthefox5, May 15, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 15, 2016
  2. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    I actually got the throttle body cleaned when the mechanic changed the belt in the car about a month or two ago. It looks clean to me. But I can't figure out how to get the air filter stuff off so I can reach it and try turning it.

The car says it has about 7 gallons of gas left and there's plenty of oil. I actually got the 30k mile check up at a toyota dealer not more than a month ago. It cost me like $350.

Is the inspection mode the same mode I found the voltage of the battery?

EDIT:

Ok, so i finally got the plastic thing off and the throttle body is clean. It also seems like it's not stuck. It only seems to have the slight resistance from the spring, but otherwise turns smoothly. I did see some gasoline residue on the metal underneath the throttle body.

#22 PepoGimez, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 15, 2016
  3. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    11.9V was through the MFD with ACC on. It's probably not dead. Typical IR on a 6 cell AGM is about 60mR. A 10A load will easily pull an "ok" battery down to 11.9-12V.

I have to visit the opposite side of Phoenix this afternoon, and I'll be swinging by his place to hook it up to Techstream.

#23 S Keith, May 15, 2016
    Last edited: May 16, 2016
    bisco and Stevewoods like this.
  4. Stevewoods

Stevewoods Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    You are a good person S. Keith....(y) And, as an aside, S. Keith helped me out yesterday in finding the correct Mini-VCI to order for my Prius (for some reason he was a bit reluctant to swing by Seattle yesterday and plug-in his own cable???):D

bisco likes this.
  5. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two

Hmmm.. thats too bad that would have been easy. There's something much more nefarious then that's shutting the engine off.
    Ok its time to pull codes.
    [

6. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    This has to be a bad inverter pump. Mechanic that did work on it probably got air in the system

SM-N900P ?

7. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Ed got it in post 19.

His combo meter is out almost all the time.

3 codes:
    Fail to start
    Combo sync failure
    Out of fuel...

:)

I didn't stick around for the fix. Hopefully, he added about 5 gallons of gas, reset the 12V and is good by now.

Steve

8. Former Member 68813

Former Member 68813 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    LOL, high tech way of finding out the car is out of fuel. Steve, you are a good man. i hope the OP at least thanked you.

9. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    Oh heck yeah. He was very grateful. He even offered to pay me. Nice guy.

10. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Haha yeah! He's awesome! He went quite a bit out of his way to come and help me. He knew a lot.

Haha turns out that the car just ran out of gas... Apparently the fact that my display is all messed up, caused it to show my gas levels wrong and it just ran out mid highway. After a bunch of battery testing and what not it ended up just being that it needed gas... lmao

Turns out that it was just out of gas lol. The display issue I described caused the car to display the gas levels wrong and just emptied in the freeway. It had just enough HB juice to get back home from where they were.

Yeah, I plugged in the battery, filled it with a few gallons and it turned right on. No issues. The screen even showed up! lol. I guess when you're new to dealing with hybrid and electric cars, first instinct is to go towards complicated problems. It's kind of ironic that the issue with my prius was that it ran out of gas haha. Thanks again Steve!

#30 PepoGimez, May 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  11. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
  12. PepoGimez

PepoGimez Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    You were right haha. It ran out of gas. The combo meter told me it was at around 7-8 gallons. Turns out it was empty.

Oh great! Thank you for the link. Now to find out how to remove the cluster. Maybe i'll just message the seller. They probably have some kind of guide or links for it.

That's probably a good idea. A little will go a long way.

#32 PepoGimez, May 16, 2016
    Last edited by a moderator: May 16, 2016
  13. S Keith

S Keith Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2003 Prius
    The only downsides I see are:
    1) the hassle associated with removal
    2) the downtime

I really need to do it too while I have the spare cars... :)

14. tony2ltr

tony2ltr Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Seth seems to have a handle on it, he is local. I would take the offer, the people you want working on your car are the mechanics who love them (like me).

XT1585 ?