1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle (Warning)

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by NortTexSalv04Prius, Apr 5, 2012.

1. NortTexSalv04Prius

NortTexSalv04Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello
    My 04 Prius has not been driven for 2-3 months and I am not sure what my issues are.
    I have 102775 ODO mileage
    I am getting on dash
    RED Triangle Yellow, VSC, and Brake ((I))
    SG2 scan C1286,C1186,B0656, and PID00
    Any suggest and help will be appreciated

2. olerox

olerox Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Maybe the aux 12volt battery is depleted and limping along just enough to light up the dash warnings? 2-3 months is a long dormancy for this battery.

Can you trickle charge the battery over night to make sure its up to snuff?

3. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    That is a start ....................I am able to drive though,start......so my 14V Optima yellow top is working...........and had already swap aux battery out.....
    My SG2 SOC% is 62 to 50 I am not sure how you which system is failing OEM HV pack, transaxle, inverter...... all the DTC codes I get are not pending and do not correspond to the code sheet......

4. seilerts

seilerts Battery Curmudgeon

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    I do not think a ScanGauge is capable of reading brake system codes.

Try dumping the blink codes instead. You need to jumper pins 4 and 13 of the DLC. Each lamp will flash out a 2 digit code for DTCs. Then, you can try to reset them by pumping the brake pedal 8 times in 5 seconds. See attached.

Attached Files:

northwichita and dave77 like this.
  5. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have had the DTC codes P1886 P0A86 PF186 PID00 c1286

SG2 scans like 80 some odd codes with none go to pending status
    after I hit next on SG2 only get a code which has correlation.

I may go to a mechanic and have him hook up his OBD diag.....

I can drive but I am in a ev mode longer than usual and I can see the battery SOC 50% which is a drop that can not be good......

I may also try swap of the oem HV pack to see if that clears my issue then I will know I a bad pack.....

I am not sure how to jump those obd pins and I assume you mean clear codes by dump..... I really not sure what you directing me toward .like use alligator clip test leads...

6. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
  7. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Have you noticed a pattern in your codes? Most are **86, and there are no codes ending in 86 that map to a DTC in the service manual.

If you go see your mechanic, print out the attachment and take it with you. All you need is a 2 inch piece of insulated wire with the ends stripped to make the connection between 4 and 13 -- literally a breadboard jumper can do it. Brake/ABS/((!)) codes are heavily proprietary and only advanced level scan tools will have the Toyota programming to read them. Fortunately, Toyota left a mechanism for manually reading the codes via the jumper + lamp flashes, which is more than I can say about some other auto makers.

There is nothing at all abnormal about the SoC values that you report, 50-62. I have seen two cases now where SoC would fall as low as 30%, and the HV battery was NOT at fault.

8. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    FYI
    If I am correct this the third inverter pump and the inverter was rebuilt once. When you drive in all ev(startup) real nice even though dash is like xmas tree lights.........

inverter pump is not cycling at shut off
    I think the rear brakes may be gone too I gotta check that and is there a sensor near rear drums

MFD battery bars have cycled too from half , to all green, then half

I could recheck pack volts
    What brand multimeter gives a good read?

After attached jumper wire from 4 to 13 what is next or should be doing or looking for,,,

9. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
  10. seilerts

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    The hallmark of a battery failure is two-fold: The cooling fan in the back switches to high, and it makes a very noticeable noise at the intake in the back seat area; the car will not go in reverse.

1 person likes this.
  11. NortTexSalv04Prius

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    All but the red triangle warning "cleared" today just by me driving vehicle and SOC has gone to 63% I may be in the clear...so no VSC yellow or brake