1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red Triangle while driving

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Emily Goodman, Feb 14, 2019.

1. Emily Goodman

Emily Goodman New Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi! Hoping someone might have some insight for me as I've started to experience some problems with my 2007 Prius. I was noticing some problems I thought were related to the 12V battery (lower than normal gas milage, car would die if it shut off after running for a very short amount of time (and would beep as though the lights had been left on when they hadn't). I changed the battery to a yellow top and all was well for about two weeks before some other problems started happening. Now, back on Sunday, and again today (Thursday) while driving after the car has been running for about 10-15 minutes, I get the Red Triangle on the dash and the Problem Banner comes up on my display. It happened Sunday as I was driving down a 4 lane main road, and today as I was getting onto a state route (today it happened twice in a row). So probably going about 30 miles and hour both times. I felt like the car was more difficult to accelerate today; but it's hilly in my area, and it could have been me looking for symptoms.
    For reference, here's a timeline of what has happened recently

- January 18 -- replaced battery with yellow top Optima Battery from Autozone
    - January 27 -- temperatures well below freezing overnight (low temp was maybe 6 degrees)
    - January 28 -- Car started in the morning, but no dash board lights turned on. Car ran fine, drove about 20 miles, but car would not shut off after I arrived at my destination. Had to perform a hard shut down (hold power for 3 seconds) to get it to turn off. Turned back on and ran fine 20 minutes later and for the rest of the day and so on until..
    - February 10 -- Red Triangle of Death/"Problem" while driving down a main road and approaching grocery store. No problems after I got out of the store and headed home
    - February 14 -- Red Triangle of Death/"Problem" while approaching on ramp (x2)

Any insight/help in determining the underlying problem would be great. I did have my last oil change about 3,000 miles ago (and there was a problem where they didn't replace my oil cap, but that was back in December, and once I got them to refill the oil and get it cleaned up, I didn't have any other problems from that, but I guess that's also something to consider.

The car has 212,000 miles on it, and has received regular maintenance with the same mechanic up until that last oil change.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    1. check the oil dipstick to see you are not running low on oil.
    2. when the car is on and READY, open the inverter coolant cap and see if there is turbulence in the coolant. If there is no movement, then the inverter coolant pump probably has failed.

edthefox5 likes this.
  3. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Couple of issues.

One is the dashboard going out is very common the dashboard led assy that is failing is called the combo meter. A few members on this site can repair them for $100. You send them your unit they repair it and send it back. You can buy a new led assy off ebay also.
    The hardship is getting it removed from the dash. Its about 3 hours the first time. Its affected by the cold. If its cold out it goes out. Yours has progressed to the stage it will not allow the car to shut off. Mine was going in and out for a year then one day the car would not shut off.

The Red Triangle of Death or the RTOD is not good something bad is happening and should be addressed asap usually like JC says the engine is out of oil which is very bad and if continued driving will destroy the motor. Your engine at 212K miles is a little oil eating monster and should be monitored closely from here on out. Unless you want to buy a new motor.

Lots of times the RTOD is thrown if it detects any issue with the hybrid battery not the 12 volt the main battery. You are in the sweet spot unfortunately for the hybrid battery to fail. In fact your way past that so keep that in mind in any further thoughts about putting money in the car. If its the hybrid battery when it launches the RTOD the car goes into limp mode and no longer has any hybrid battery participation and has all the power of a lawn motor. You have to floor it to go anywhere as the car is then solely on engine power.