1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Red (!), Yellow (!) and ABS...from washing car?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by FazilHussein, May 11, 2014.

1. raydb34

raydb34 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    I had exactly the same symptoms as FazilHussein "Car drives fine; the brakes feel weird....much more brake travel, no assist from the motor....very grabby, but still functional." after going through a commercial car wash!
    The dealer read codes C0215 Rear speed sensor LH Circuit. And C1247 Stroke sensor.
    They special ordered the Stroke sensor $204.17 + $110 labor. They reset the codes and I drove home 25 miles without error or the crazy braking! I'm thinking of telling them to cancel the special order and cross my fingers hoping the problem is related to the car wash. and won't return.

Any thoughts??

2. Patrick Wong

Patrick Wong DIY Enthusiast

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The brake problem is going to come back. The stroke sensor failure is intermittent. That part is located inside the passenger compartment near the brake pedal assembly and will not be affected by a car wash. I suggest you not be quick to have your dealer cancel the parts order.

3. raydb34

raydb34 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    Thanks Patrick! You are very right. The problem returned in about a week. I did some research and found the part for $131.28 at metrotoyotapartsnow.com and installed it myself vs $204.17 for the part and $110.00 labor. It's difficult to reach but installation is otherwise straightforward. Worth a tough reach to save 182.89...