1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reduced EV only miles

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Douglask, Mar 18, 2020.

1. Douglask

Douglask New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    My Prime used to report 27 ev miles available on a full charge. It is now under 20 on a full charge even with a better winter. Typically it reports between 18.5 & 19.7 range. Is my battery degrading or failing? Any help is appreciated.

2. Douglask

Douglask New Member

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius Prime
    Model:
    N/A
    My 2018 Prime use to get up to 27 miles on EV only, it is now after a full charge only getting between 18-20 miles before the gas kicks in. I took it to a dealer but they said the batter is reporting as good but I think it may be failing. I have just two years and 28000 miles on the car. Any suggestions to my issue? … DK

3. schja01

schja01 One of very few in Chicagoland

Vehicle:
    2018 Prius
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Minnesota?
    It’s normal.

4. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    not sure what you 'even with a better winter'

are you saying it got 27 last winter? that would not be a good thing

5. Salamander_King

Salamander_King Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Did you get 27 actual miles and now 20 actual miles with similar tempter and driving conditions? Or are you comparing the GOM (Guess-O-Meter) EV range shown on the dash?

My 2017 PRIME had average 32 miles actual EV range during summer, but in winter it had average 19 miles actual EV range. GOM was almost always showing over 30 miles during that time.

Sideshow Bob and benagi like this.
  6. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base

7. CraigM

CraigM Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Have you replaced your tires recently? Checked tire pressures? Drive only up hills?

8. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    Did this drop by chance coincide with sheltering in place for COVID19?

I have seen a pretty big drop too, with no other particularly significant changes. 28ish going down to just under 24. And it’s definitely an actual range drop; not just a GoM estimate change.

Sounds like you’re seeing an even bigger drop! Sorry to hear that...

For me at least, same kinds of driving, temperatures pretty similar, pretty much same use of climate control. Just a whole lot less driving!

Stats:
    50070 miles,
    Not using climate control much, low-to-mid-80s outdoor temperature, climate control at 78ish, but AC often turned off,
    Slightly hilly terrain, highest speed 65MPH, but average more like 45ish.
    Making a point to *not* leave the battery holding a high charge while it’s sitting.

Anybody else seeing the appearance at least that shelter-in-place is reducing your range?

#8 mr88cet, Apr 26, 2020
    Last edited: Apr 27, 2020
  9. benagi

benagi Active Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    After 2 1/2 years, 15,000 miles, still getting around 31 EV miles during spring, summer and fall.

mr88cet likes this.
  10. Old Bear

Old Bear Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Same here. It's been a mild winter here in the Northeast (although April has been much colder than normal), and we've been seeing consistent fully-charged range of 28 to 30 miles.

The Covid-shelter-in-place has changed our driving patterns and, although we've been entirely EV this month, we're not showing up on the Eco-Dashboard top 100 list because we haven't driven very many miles. Short trips to the store a couple of times a week and an occasional pleasure drive just to get out and see the scenery. Also, a couple of longer trips of about 25 miles round-trip to bring "care packages" to friends. We will probably have driven less than 150 miles for the entire month.

Even so, the ECO Dashboard has awarded us GOLD status for the first time. So, in addition to sheep, trees, rainbows and clouds, we now have those elusive flowers all over the field. :)

mr88cet, Tideland Prius and benagi like this.
  11. mr88cet

mr88cet Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    For those of you who, like me, have seen a sharp drop, I wasn’t clear if the time frame of that drop coincided with driving less due to sheltering in place?

That was the case for me, but I’m wondering if you’re seeing the same reaction to driving less.

Apologies in advance If you replied to that effect and I just missed it...

12. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I have a 2017 Prime and my battery charges to 29-32 miles in the Summer, but only 19 miles when it's below 30degF.
    I've known this happens and when the outside warms up, the battery miles will increase.

But WHY? Does anyone really know why the Prime turns off charging early when it gets cold?

13. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it doesn't turn off early, so to speak. the chemistry simply does not allow for full charging at certain temperatures.
    and you also lose miles because discharging is less efficient, and winter driving is less efficient. so the combination of the two accounts for reduced range.
    in high quality ev's, a liquid cooling/warming system helps to alleviate some of these factors, but can add cost to manufacturing.

14. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Thanks Bisco. I've been away for a while. Glad you replied.

bisco likes this.
  15. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I doubt that it's charging less. It doesn't get that cold here, but in 30+ degree temps, my meter reads the same number of kWh on a charge as it does when it's 90 degrees. Use a meter to see how many kWh the car is taking.

What I'm pretty sure happens is that the car has a thermometer. It knows it's cold. It knows the battery doesn't perform as well in the cold. It factors that into the GOM calculations. Try driving in EV from the start until the battery runs out of range. Note the miles driven and the miles/kWh on the Eco-diary. Divide the miles driven by the miles/kWh. You should get about six or a little more.

16. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Jerry,

Thanks for the reply. I used to be very active here, measured my kWh and kept records. After a year or 2, my two 15 amp kWh meters burned out and I decided just to Drive it.

I was wondering if anyone had engineering knowledge of the Prime.

Lately, I also wish that Toyota had a Spare Prime Battery kit that would allow me to Double the Battery when I planned to go beyond my routine distance, wanting to stay on EV. Then remove it when I'm back to my routine distance, to save weight.

Does anyone know the features of the Next Prime?

jerrymildred likes this.
  17. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    i haven't seen anything, or even rumours. it definitely won't be that! :cool:

hoping for a flat hatch and a few more miles, i think toy is preparing a full bev.

you'd probably be better off with one of the 50 mile phev's, they are all proving quite reliable.

jerrymildred likes this.
  18. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I remember! ;)

Nothing wrong with just driving it. (y)

Perhaps the closest would be Professor Kelly's great videos.
    WeberAuto - YouTube

Yeah, I think a lot of people would like that. But you'd need an engine hoist to put it in & take it out. The battery weighs 283 pounds.
    (Go to the 3:30 mark in this video to see it removed.)

Lots of conjecture, but no one seems to know except Toyota and God ... and they're not talkin'. LOL! Toyota seems to keep better secrets than Apple on new products.

19. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I remember seeing this in the manual FWIW. It sort of relates but I think about this a lot when anything like this pops up:

Fuel economy-The hybrid system is designed to achieve the best possible fuel economy during normal driving (using the gasoline engine and electric motor [traction motor]). Driving in EV drive mode more than necessary may lower fuel economy

20. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    are you sure that wasn't from the non plug in?

jerrymildred likes this.