1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reduced EV only miles

Discussion in 'Prime Fuel Economy & EV Range' started by Douglask, Mar 18, 2020.

1. jerrymildred

jerrymildred Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    That is definitely from the regular Prius manual and not from the Prime manual.

Prim.e.xample likes this.
  2. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    The "remaining charge" is shown as a percentage at the top of one of the displays. The remaining range (in miles) is shown in the HUD and one of the other displays. :) You can tell I don't read the manual to identify the displays.

The range is calculated on the remaining charge and the efficiency of your last couple of trips as shown on the eco diary. I think it uses the average "miles per kWh" from the diary and multiplies that by the number of kWh in the remaining charge.

As an example; my average for the last 5 days is 4.6 miles per kWh. The battery is 6.8kWh at 100%. The range shows 30.0 The calculation of 4.6 times 6.8 comes out to 31.28, so that's pretty close.

It is logical that if you are making short trips with the AC on, the mi/kWh will be much lower and thus the projected range will be lower.

Dan

3. dbstoo

dbstoo Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2024 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I just took a ride in my car. I've not driven much this week; only once in the last 5 days so that made calculating the average mi/kWh real easy. I ran the formula above and it was pretty close.

4.4 miles per kWh * 76% charge * 6.9 kWh max battery EV mode capacity = 23.0736 The guess-o-meter said I had 22.7 miles range. I suspect the other variable may have to do with the percentage battery use that was used by climate control.

One side note... The eco diary does not give any weight to the mileage for each day, so a 1 mile drive on Tuesday with 5 minutes of running the the AC while it's in Park will have a disproportional impact on the average when you drive 25 miles the next day at 5.5 miles per kWh.

Dan

4. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Holy smokes! You are right! No wonder I was confused on the differences between the manuals (physical/digital). I'm going to have to give my salesman a hard time now for sending me the wrong manual lol. Good catch!

jerrymildred likes this.
  5. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Which manual is the wrong one? If it's the digital one, you can download it for free from the Toyota owners' web page. Welcome to Toyota Owners

Prim.e.xample likes this.
  6. Prim.e.xample

Prim.e.xample Active Member

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    Yes, he sent me the digital one early on in the buying process and I didn’t check it too closely. I’ll download it from there. Thanks again!

jerrymildred likes this.
  7. 100 free watt hours

100 free watt hours Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    My 2019 has 90000 miles now. I 've noticed that it will only charge to 23 miles or so now. I used to only get about 26-27 miles on a charge not the 36 that some people were reporting. This is on 220v, when new it would only charge to 23 miles on 110v. When driving I only get about 18-20 miles range out of the 23 which I assume is from heating or cooling. When the car was new this didn't seem to be a problem and I always got at least 25 miles of range. Hate to spend good money to have the dealer tell me that's normal degradation of the battery. I'm very disappointed in the EV range but overall the car has been excellent and probably saved my life a couple of times with the advanced features.

8. jerrymildred

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Range has absolutely nothing to do with charging voltage. Range is nearly always some combination of battery capacity, driving style, weather, and the rolling resistance of the tires. Battery capacity generally goes down with age more than miles.

Questions:
    1. When you see that you're going to have to stop, do you keep powering forward and brake at the last moment?
    2. What tires are you running?
    3. How many kWh does it take to charge from depleted to full charge? (This is where you measure battery health, not by looking at miles of range.)
    PS, don't forget to change your profile info. It still has you driving a 2010 Prius Three. ;)

#28 jerrymildred, May 23, 2021
    Last edited: May 23, 2021
    mr88cet likes this.
  9. MTN

MTN Active Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    LE
    Maybe try the Dr Prius app for a battery health indicator?

10. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    but it is normal, nothing wrong with your car. there, i just saved you a couple hundred bucks. ;)

you'll get better info by searching here for free, than you could ever pay a dealer for (y)

MTN and Salamander_King like this.