1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Reducing road noise

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Accessories and Modifications' started by pryfly250, Apr 6, 2017.

1. pryfly250

pryfly250 Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Sound proofing, in my case reducing concrete freeway noise. Finding good information has been a challenge. What are the best type of materials, how much to use, where to use it. Is it more of a hit and miss situation, or cover everything with deadening material? I did all 4 doors when I replaced the speakers, with minimal effect. So the question is, is there any definitive information about sound proofing a 3rd gen Prius, short of tearing out the whole interior?

Don Sambrook from Sound Deadener Showdown, seems very knowledgeable, and the price of materials is reasonable, unfortunately shipping costs are high (not his fault). I have contacted Cascade Audio twice, with no response. There are posts talking about everything from insulation rolls from Home Depot, to 3d Maxplier floor mats, carpet padding, and all brands of sound deadening materials. Then there are rubberized sprays. Last but not least, tires, some are quieter than others. Replacing tires sure is easier than tearing the car apart, and installing sound deadening material. But tires would only be part of the solution.

Is it possible to reduce road noise without doing the whole floor, and trunk areas? Or turning up the stereo.

2. Lucifer

Lucifer Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Plug-in Advanced
    Dynamat or a knock off, adhesive backed stick it roll it with a hair dryer and it's good, do the door interiors, yes the floors, including the hatch area, you will be able to turn the sound down and relax your eardrums, you might check with crutchfield about speaker replacement, upgraded speakers is always worth it, but crutchfield will give you installation instructions, step by step for removing or dismantling the Doors and dash, very handy, and free on the site.

3. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there are sound deadening threads here, very successful from what i've read. yes, a lot of work.

i put michelin energy savers on, and couldn't believe the difference in road noise. amazing, after driving with oem's for 13 years. $600. installed.

4. Imaginex20

Imaginex20 Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I installed sound deadener on my front doors and it helped reduce the road noise.

5. NavyLCDR

NavyLCDR Active Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    I installed a pair of these and they worked wonders!

[​IMG]

About $.05 in bulk. Or free if you "borrow" them from work.

I apologize, I couldn't resist.

Jon Senum, Burna J and Justdidit like this.
  6. Boston Jim

Boston Jim Active Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    In my opinion the trunk/hatch seemed to make the biggest difference to me. I did the 4 doors first and it helped alittle but I really noticed the noise reduction once the trunk was finished, it just might be that combined it made the biggest difference. I did not do the floors/roof. (This was using SDS material)

7. Eodguy

Eodguy Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    V
    20170525_194048.jpg I just did the inside and the outside of the 4 doors and upgraded all 8 JBL speakers there is an incredible difference in exterior road noise. Everyone always forgets to do the roof and that is where you will reduce the most noise. If you door the doors, floors back and the roof with quality materials (Dynamat or equivalent) there will be an amazing difference.

MMtec and Burna J like this.
  8. danlatu

danlatu Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2011 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Shinetsu grease on weather stripping will get rid of all the door/hatch rattle. The grease helps lubricate and swell seals to new. When I replace the speakers, I will be sure to use some sound deadening material.

IMG_0078.JPG

9. blazedlawyer

blazedlawyer New Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    How did you do the trunk? The floor or the actual hatch door?