1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Refreshed the HV Battery

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by SnT08Prius, Sep 19, 2021.

1. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    kW is simply the product of current and volts and advises the power available at the point in time it is reported.

One question, why does the scale on the battery air temp go from -558 ºF to 600 ºF? It seems that they are rather extreme top and bottom points.

2. SnT08Prius

SnT08Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Update: the battery is working great around town and not dipping low on the cold morning starts any more. It's getting cold up here in Montana now! The only thing it does not enjoy is getting up to freeway speed (80MPH) on a short lead in ramp. But it recovers within a few miles back to about half way.

Around town it goes between 4 and 6 bards for most of the time. On the freeway it sits around 4 bars.

So replacing just 5 modules ($140.00 I think it was) has helped the breath new life into the 368,000 mile HV battery.
    The suspension all replaced, new headlights & clock spring has cost just on $1,500 doing 85% of the work myself. I had 1 rear shock bolt that would not come out and had the tie rod/ball joints fitted with wheel alignment.

The car rides great now and everything back to a working status ready for 100,000 more miles :)

SFO likes this.
  3. SnT08Prius

SnT08Prius Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Feb 2022 update: Battery still going strong even with zero F morning starts. The engine is a little grumpy as you would expect as we have no block heater. I'm often getting into the green on my way home when it's a little warmer (27-32f) and being a little down hill for most of the trip.

In short - replacing the 5 lowest voltage cells worked a treat and only took a few hundred miles to re balance itself.

ammdb and SFO like this.