1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Refuel not showing on computer problem

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by 524, Jan 10, 2008.

1. 524

524 Guilty but not Responsible

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Okay I apologize in advance if this problem has been posted about before. I searched for about an hour reading lots of interesting stuff about bladders and such and couldn't find anything.

This is what happened. I was at one pip when I left the house this morning and drove about 10 miles and stopped to get gas before getting on the freeway for my commute. The pump was pumping VERY slowly, like empty slow. So, I only got 2 gallons to get me halfway through my drive where I could easily stop and get more gas (and Starbucks). Well, after pumping that 2 gallons when I got in the car it didn't register on my fuel gauge at all, okay not so abnormal maybe I was lower than I thought. But, then it didn't trip the mpg tracker. You know, where it usually shows your average and mileage for that tank? It didn't go back to "0" miles. That freaked me out a little.

So when I got to the next station I only had 10 bucks so I got almost 3 gallons of gas and it did the same thing. NO change in pips and no return to "0".

I had no problems getting that fuel in. I have overfilled before but that was almost 10 tanks ago.

I have no clue what to do. I'm going to stop again when I leave work today at yet another station and fill up completely to see if that will change anything.

Has this happened to anyone else?

I have an 07 Prius, 20K miles

2. richard schumacher

richard schumacher shortbus driver

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Sounds normal. You have to put in more than about 3 gals at once to get the resets to work, or for that matter for the gauge to read correctly.

NOTE that you still have a problem! As you intended, you must now go fill your tank so that the computer will not soon erroneously decide that you have run out of fuel and shut off the car. I hope I'm mistaken about this, but I'm not knowingly kidding you about it.

3. efusco

efusco Moderator Emeritus
    Staff Member

Vehicle:
    2004 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    The 'add fuel' light won't come on until you really need to add fuel, but you're correct that you must add more than 3 (closer to 4) gallons all at once (ie not two separate fills). This is covered in the owner's manual.

If you top up the tank it should reset...now you've twice added not enough to reset, but there may not be room to add 4 full gallons. Might be wise to drive for 100-200 miles (you know you have enough fuel for that) then fill up.

4. Sufferin' Prius Envy

Sufferin' Prius Envy Platinum Member

Vehicle:
    Other Non-Hybrid
    Yes it has.

To solve your problem regarding pips not lighting up . . .

Don't spend $4 for a 'NON-FAT SOY LATTE THINGAMAGOTI' at Starbucks if you are running out of gas money! :)

5. 524

524 Guilty but not Responsible

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius

eww, it was a 1.35 green tea, I had a sore throat. I don't drink coffee and I usually don't pay for my gas out of pocket, that is what gas cards are for. It was just a random one-off. :rolleyes:

Thanks everyone else for letting me know it's completely normal. I did drive all the way back home last night after work, about 72 miles and then stopped and filled up a little over 6 gallons. After I did that the computer did reset as you've said it would and all seems well.