1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Refueling No Longer Resets Trip Meter?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jimolson, Aug 27, 2017.

1. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    My 2009 Prius is equipped with the feature that resets the consumption screen trip meter whenever I do a gas fill-up.

The vehicle now has 155k miles on it and the trip reset feature has recently stopped working. Even when I do fill ups from a nearly empty tank, the trip meter never resets. This is problematic because, like many owners of high mileage Prii, my gas gauge is no longer very accurate. I've been using the trip meter to confirm the need for a fill up.

I'm wondering if the recent replacement of my traction battery had something to do with this.

I've seen other posters in this forum mention this problem. However, I've never seen a response that explains the cause of the problem or its fix.

Any takers on this?

BTW, I replaced the traction battery at 151k miles with a new battery stack of Toyota-supplied cells. Prior to the traction battery replacement I'd spent less than $300 on repairs.

2. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    What does new battery stack of Toyota cells mean? You bought a new battery from Toyota?

3. jimolson

jimolson Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    I believe AutoBeYours, Inc.of Scottsburg acquires 28 new NiMH cells from Toyota and retrofits them into the existing battery tray. Some electrical components in the tray are reused.

I also had the cheaper option of a rebuilt battery stack where weak cells in my stack are replaced with stronger used cells from other Prii.

Because a friend had a bad experience with rebuilt batteries, I did not choose a rebuilt one.

4. JC91006

JC91006 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Toyota sells the batteries complete in a new case, you just need to transfer the ecu and relays over

5. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    it may be coincidental timing, as I don't believe there is anything HV battery related that would affect your consumption screen trip meter.

Did you have anything else fixed/replaced? Like the combination meter?

#5 dolj, Aug 27, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
  6. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I've never heard of this. Is that different than regular trip meter? For real? (n)

7. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Yes, it is real – a feature of the Gen II

Prius MFD Consumption Screen.jpg

The "miles" figure resets every time the tank is filled on 2006-2009 Gen II's. Both the Average MPG and "miles" resets on 2004-2005 Gen II's.

Both figures can be manually reset at any time by pressing the "Reset" button, shown here on the bottom right.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. redrockprius

redrockprius redrockprius

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    I have been driving my 2007 Gen. 2 Prius since it was new. It has never automatically reset upon filling the gas tank. I have always had to manually press the Reset button on the screen.

bisco likes this.
  9. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    May be you never noticed it. It resets the miles only as soon as you start driving off. I also reset mine manually, as I want to reset the avg mpg as well.

#9 dolj, Aug 28, 2017
    Last edited: Aug 28, 2017
    WilDavis likes this.
  10. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Perhaps this feature is not on the US Prius. Features and packages available vary. There are at least 4 groups US, Canada, Europe, Japan.

11. WilDavis

WilDavis Senior Member

Top RH Corner of RH Coast on L side of The Pond
    Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    I used to always reset mine (2009 Gen II) manually, but recent!y have started letting the system do its own thing, and have noticed that it will reset the distance and consumption within about a half mile or so...

StephenJ likes this.
  12. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Note that if you do NOT hit RESET then the MPG calc is composite average since the last time you hit RESET. I try to hit RESET each tank, but its much harder now as our MFD is on it's last legs and requires about 50 pushes to get RESET.

We just got into a new problem that our low fuel pip blinky comes on only after 5-gal used.

13. R-P

R-P Active Member

Vehicle:
    2009 Prius
    Model:
    II
    Same here with a European Gen2. Trip resets automatically (on MFD only), l/100km has to be reset by pushing the reset button on the touchscreen.

14. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    scott clips one of the wires while replacing the battery so you'll be back for a new mfd.:cool: