1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Refurb Multi Function displays holding up?

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Technical Discussion' started by findlj, Apr 6, 2013.

1. findlj

findlj Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Hi all, I've got an '06 Prius that's been a great car except for the MFD failing a couple of years ago. I had the dealership put a replacement in then. I've heard of several other Prius owners having this problem and wonder how their refurbished MFD's have held up after a few years? Note that I bought my car in Sept. of 06 and Toyota had a TSB out on MFD failures in Jan. of 05! Toyota should've covered this for us. I'm getting ready to purchase another car and Toyotas' customer service on this issue has me thinking about looking elsewhere.(n)

2. jdenenberg

jdenenberg EE Professor

Vehicle:
    2020 Prius
    Model:
    LE AWD-e
    I "Refurbed" (Re-soldered connector pin 60 according to the Hobbit's directions) the MFD in my 2004 Prius myself several years ago and it is still working fine. The early MFD TSB only covered 2004 and 2005 Prii, not the 2006 or later.

Toyota has bee generally reasonable, if a bit slow reacting, when manufacturing defects have been identified. An example is the current warranty extension on the speedometer in my 2004 Prius, now covered till September of this year.

Compare their behavior to that of Honda on the Civic Hybrid battery problems. Honda's "fix" is to reprogram the ECU to not use the HV battery very much thereby making the battery last till after the warranty expires and causing the performance and MPG to be lousy.

Or Ford, which sold cars for years in the 90's with auto transmissions that barely lasted till the 50k mile warranty was up and all of them failed by about 100k miles.

JeffD