1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Refurbished Battery pack failing again

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by jichi, Mar 23, 2020.

Tags:
  1. jichi

jichi Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Model:
    ----USA----
    From I what I see that block2 is the one need replacement which means two modules, but I am concerned about how High voltage charge is reaching on each block, is that normal. Another question is I saw a thread that someone managed to use 4th gen modules 2nd gen Prius is it only modules he changed ?.thanks

Attached Files:

2. TMR-JWAP

TMR-JWAP Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    From I what I see that block2 is the one need replacement which means two modules,

Yes, each block consists of 2 modules, but it's typically only one module that fails and causes the voltage to be low.

but I am concerned about how High voltage charge is reaching on each block, is that normal.

Your voltages look pretty normal to me for the year. The highs and lows are going to vary considerably depending on whether the HV battery is in "discharge" or "charge".

Another question is I saw a thread that someone managed to use 4th gen modules 2nd gen Prius is it only modules he changed ?

Yes, the Gen 4 modules (Gen 3 also) are physically interchangeable with the Gen 2 modules. If you decide to install Gen 4 modules, you should do all 28 modules. You should also purchase a new 'wire frame #2' from Toyota. This is the wire sensor harness and busbars that fasten along the module terminals.

SFO and ydpplqbd like this.
  3. davecook89t

davecook89t Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    I see 100% SOC at the bottom of a couple of those screenshots. I'm thinking that cannot be correct. Force-charging to that level would not be advisable for battery longevity.

ydpplqbd likes this.
  4. George W

George W Active Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    When you say refurbished, a DIY, or a third party?

5. SFO

SFO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    Raytheeagle and dolj like this.
  6. dolj

dolj Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    N/A
    ... also, ensure the Gen 4 modules are NiMH and not Li-Ion. Although, if it came to it, I don't believe the Li-Ion modules could accidentally be used. I believe they are a different form factor. But it will scupper your plans.

[EDIT] SFO beat me to it. :D:p:cool:;)

[EDIT2] @SFO, Thanks for linking to that Weber U Disassembly And Breakdown Of The 2017 Toyota Prius Li-Ion Battery Video. Very interesting.

#6 dolj, Mar 24, 2020
    Last edited: Mar 24, 2020
    SFO and Raytheeagle like this.
  7. CEBA Battery

CEBA Battery Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    II
    There are two battery models for Prius G4, one is total same with Prius G2/3, another one is Lithium battery type. a
    After getting the same material, you may need to match the parameters of voltage and capacity, make sure to keep Voltage, capacity, and internal resistance inconsistency. So that to prolong battery life. Otherwise, may come to an end soon again.