1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regen battery charging working extra well, MPG down...

Discussion in 'Gen 2 Prius Main Forum' started by Justdidit, Dec 19, 2012.

1. edthefox5

edthefox5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Go on Line to Autozone. They have a 15% off online coupon & $50 gift coupon on future purchases.
    Pick it up at there store. Much better than having it shipped as #1 doesn't get beat up in shipping and #2 if there's any issues its local. I bought my Yellowtop local at $169 out the door. Then put it on the charger and see how long it takes to reach 0 current draw to full charge. Should do it quick. If not its a hanger queen mutt and spent a long time discharged and now not so happy which a few peeps on here have experienced.
    I don't care what the auto store says about its health a charge up does not lie.

There's that battery charger again. Many many uses.

2. dorunron

dorunron Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2013 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    FWIW, the Optima Yellow Top just increased the price, so if you can get it for less than $200.00 you are doing good. Everywhere here in Houston, I am seeing prices over $200 even with the discounts. Two weeks ago I could have bought the same battery with the same discount for $162 out the door. Now it is more like $230, and that is you picking it up after ordering online. I am also finding out that Toyota here in Houston (Champion that is) does not stock the OEM battery anymore. They are selling a drop in that Interstate is making. Supposed to be the same size, same pencil posts, same vent tube location, etc. The internet price on that was $168 picking up at the parts dept locally. I myself am in the market for a battery as mine is getting weak, but still working with the charger keeping it full.

Ron

Britprius likes this.
  3. Britprius

Britprius Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    The Exide Edge FP-AGM51JIS battery is around $160 has a greater amp/hr capacity "45" and has a 4 year full replacement guaranty. A direct replacement for the Prius, deep cycle with correct posts and vent.

John (Britprius).

4. xpcman

xpcman Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
  5. dhanson865

dhanson865 Expert and Devil's advocate

Vehicle:
    2005 Prius

As another way to look at it the voltage in ready mode will exceed 14v when the 12v battery is low and the voltage will drop to as low as 13v if the 12v battery is fully charged. So you could say

13.1 to 13.5 battery has a good charge (inverter is taking it easy on charging the 12v)
    13.6 to 13.9 battery is slightly low and inverter is charging at a normal rate
    14.0 and up battery is very low and inverter is giving it all it can to charge the heck out of that poor 12v battery.

I'm going from memory the extact numbers might need a minor tweak but that's how I remember it.

6. techntrek

techntrek Member

Vehicle:
    2008 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Installed my Optima this afternoon ($170, not above $200), very easy. They included pages of instructions but I ended up ignoring them because I knew I could skip half of the steps. I DID attach my battery charger to the front jump post before disconnecting the battery which maintained my presets, etc. I was probably done in 45 minutes including a 7 mile test drive. Just that short drive moved my mpg from 40, which I couldn't get above no matter what I tried, to 42 (I reset it before I started). The engine was warming up and the new battery wasn't at full charge so I'm not surprised it didn't go higher in those few miles. Lots of running tomorrow which will be a good test to see if I can get it back to normal, around 52 for me.

7. Justdidit

Justdidit LVNPZEV

Vehicle:
    2007 Prius
    Model:
    Four Touring
    Since that suspicious tank of gas with horrible sub 40MPG, i've filled up several more times. MPG back up to normal range. So ODD.. still have same 12v... need to replace that still.