1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regen Braking Observations

Discussion in 'Gen 3 Prius Technical Discussion' started by adrianblack, Feb 21, 2010.

1. Tom183

Tom183 New Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    I would really, REALLY like to see those same graphs after the brake ECU fix...

1 person likes this.
  2. rcf@eventide.com

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I took this voltage data almost two years ago. It shows Prius battery voltage while driving along with SOC as exhibited by the dashboard display. Beyond the article it appears in I don't want to offer any interpretation. By considering the voltage, the battery internal resistance, and a using a bit of imagination, perhaps it will be of modest value.

See RIKLBLOG - My Commute As A Voltage Graph

Richard

3. kbeck

kbeck Active Member

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    III
    A newton-meter is a measure of energy. 1 Newton-Meter is one Joule.

Rate of energy per second is Watts.

So, 1 Nm/s = 1 Joule/s = 1 Watt.

Now, I'm a little confused, too. Sixty miles per hour down to 0 mph in one hour dissipates a certain number of Joules (or Newton-meters, if you want) into the brakes. So does sixty miles per hour down to 0 mph in one second, and it's the same number of Joules. However, the watts (Joules/s) is very different for the two.

I would guess that the OP meant N-m/s, that being the "rating" for the brakes, right? Maximum energy dissipated per second?

KBeck.

4. qbee42

qbee42 My other car is a boat

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    Regenerative braking on the Prius is limited by the ability of MG2 to generate electricity and the ability of the HV battery to absorb the generated electricity. For a given speed and battery SOC this is a steady number, so you can express the maximum regenerative braking figure as energy or power. Both will be equivalent.

Tom