1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regen Braking should save the mechanical brakes

Discussion in 'Gen 1 Prius Plug-in 2012-2015' started by ukr2, Jul 6, 2016.

1. ukr2

ukr2 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2021 Prius Prime
    Model:
    XLE
    I had my 2012 Prius PIP in for 50,000 service. The tech said my rear brakes needed to be replaced. They said it would be OK until I trade the car in for a PRIME in December.

When do most PIPs need new brakes?
    I am soft on braking to keep from using mechanical brakes.
    I wish there was a better indication when mechanical brakes were being used.

2. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Get a second opinion.

At some places, the need for brake and other work can a function of the shop owner's or service writer's need to make the next boat payment or pay the kid's college tuition.

3. Yea Right

Yea Right Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    Also ... Doesn't take too much effort to pop a wheel off and look for yourself.

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  4. Montgomery

Montgomery Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2015 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    I have been able to get up to 60k miles on a non-hybrid car on the rear pads. Front usually started needing replacing after 30k. On my new first hybrid car (which next month will be my first year), I have yet to see significant wear at 10k.

5. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    I guess we should get some reference non-hybrid figures from the OP too, for a basic idea how hard a braking environment his cars face.

My household's experiences is roughly 100k miles on the front brake pads of a new car, with my spouse's car slightly beating my two that have been kept to a similar age. It is probably not reasonable to expect a driver to get more than twice as many miles on Prius pads as on a non-hybrid in the same service (same driver style and driving environment and use).

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  6. Redpoint5

Redpoint5 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't anticipate ever needing to replace the pads. I'll go over 100k on a normal (manual) car. The brake pads on my Prius are mostly used to slow the car from 7 MPH to 0. Seldom do I use the brakes at higher speed.

7. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    there have been reports of rust in the rear mechanism causing early brake wear on gen 3's. but if that were the case, the tech should have also told you that the slide pins need to be removed, cleaned and lubed.
    also, what does 'the rear brakes need to be replaced' mean? pads? discs? calipers? other?

mine look brand new at 42k, so, i would want to see the evidence before authorizing repairs. all the best ken!(y)

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  8. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I don't know what is normal but I've replaced the front brakes on 2 of my regular cars at around 100k miles. I've never replaced the rear brakes on any car I've ever owned out to 200k miles. My PiP has 110k miles and I don't think I'll ever have to replace the front or rear brakes given given the thickness still remaining on the pads.

How much more information do you need on regen braking? If the left meter is full on the HSI you're using friction brakes. If the meter is less, you're in regen. It doesn't take much to get a full bar. But with practice you know how early to brake to keep in regen.

#8 mmmodem, Jul 7, 2016
    Last edited: Jul 7, 2016
  9. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    agreed. no salt in cali. that's why it's usually the issue. things rust, bind up, operate poorly, cause premature wear.
    the design of the rear brakes w/emergency brake makes it more susceptible than front. also, snow and road salt get thrown up there from the front wheels.

PriusC_Commuter likes this.
  10. CharlesH

CharlesH CA HOV Decal #5 on former PiP

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Advanced
    As I understand it, road salt is not permitted anywhere in California, including the Sierra Mountains, which is really the only part of California where its use would make sense. I think it is an environment issue, not wanting to get the salt in the soil or runoff. If sand and snow tires/chains are not sufficient, they close the road.

11. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    we salt until the cows come home. and then salt some more. wouldn't want anyone to have to slow down in an inch of snow.

the ocean called, they're running out of salt.

12. QuantumFireball

QuantumFireball Active Member

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Mine had new rear pads and calipers on it when I got it with 34k miles, but it came from a place where they salt the roads a lot. The discs don't look great (uneven wear, rust near the centre) but hopefully it will sort itself out - I guess that will take a long time considering their usage though...

13. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Strange that rear drums have a bit of bad rap, yet seem to get the job done and last like crazy. I guess you loose a bit of braking power. They are a bear to replace, at least if you don't have much experience, and the proper tools.

14. devprius

devprius /dev/geek

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I have 106K miles on my 2012 PiP and no signs of needing to replace front or rear brakes anytime in the near or distant future. The 2005 Prius went 150K miles before needing front brakes, and the rear brakes were never done when I owned it. It's now got over 220K miles on it and I don't believe my son has had to do the rear brakes on it.

N.J.PRIUS and mmmodem like this.
  15. mmmodem

mmmodem Senior Taste Tester

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    We're neck and neck devprius. I got 103k on my 2012 PiP and 132k on the 2005. I'm not going to catch you on the 2005 but maybe on the PiP. Never replaced the brakes on either vehicle as far as I know.

N.J.PRIUS likes this.
  16. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    it's good to be californian.

PriusC_Commuter and Raytheeagle like this.
  17. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Brake maintenance shouldn't begin and end with pad replacement; it's mostly inspection, measurement and relube. Yearly or bi-yearly, depending on your usage.

It's like going to the dentist for scaling and a look-see, no news is good news.

Not sure I'm making any converts here...

bisco and mmmodem like this.
  18. Raytheeagle

Raytheeagle Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2019 Prius Prime
    Model:
    Prime Plus
    A valiant effort though. A horse brought to water will eventually drink....

iPhone ?

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  19. Yea Right

Yea Right Active Member

Vehicle:
    2014 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    I dont disagree, but if we're using analogies ... After a quick look see ... Maybe let sleeping dogs lie

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  20. fuzzy1

fuzzy1 Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    After having sleeping dogs wake up and bite me at very inconvenient times, on two past cars, I need to take Mendel's suggestion and start doing the preventative brake maintenance. Especially with my region's newfound love of winter salt.

Raytheeagle and Mendel Leisk like this.