1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regen vs acceleration amperage

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Technical Discussion' started by pyrower, Jun 6, 2019.

1. pyrower

pyrower New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Hey all,
    I’ve been playing around with the Dr. Prius app linked through my Carista for a few months. I’ve noticed on acceleration my amperage draw (discharge amperage on the app) maxes out around 70amps. However when I do a heavy regen breaking I charge the battery at up to 140amps. Voltage is the same +/- the normal fluctuations. I’m not sure if that amperage is measured before or after DC conversion but the voltage on the app is measured on the battery side of the inverter.
    On the surface it seems to me that Toyota could have given us roughly twice the electric Power for acceleration then what we currently get. I’m not an engineer but I’m assuming a motor has the same power potential as both a motor or generator.
    Anyone else come across this or am I an idiot?
    Nik

krmcg likes this.
  2. krmcg

krmcg Lowered Blizzard Pearl Beauty

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I had never heard of the Dr. Prius app. And I already have a Carista device. Thanks for the information!

3. kithmo

kithmo Couch Potato

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    When you say the voltage is the same, what is the reading ?
    Have you measured it on full acceleration or part ?
    I may be wrong but I'm sure I read somewhere that the voltage is boosted on acceleration.

4. pyrower

pyrower New Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three
    Kithmo, the voltage I can see drops on acceleration and raises on regen but its pack voltage. Normal range for me is 199 - 220v. Not sure if the voltage is increased to the motor on heavy acceleration, wish I could monitor that side of the inverter.