1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Registering TPMS IDs

Discussion in 'Gen 4 Prius Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by BigFan, Nov 2, 2016.

1. Mendel Leisk

Mendel Leisk Senior Member

Greater Vancouver, British Columbia, Canada
    Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    It's funny though: the problem with flat detection system is eclipsing the problem with flats.

padroo, RCO and Jeppefinn like this.
  2. RCO

RCO Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Sure is ironic, (not Ioniq)!

Jeppefinn and Mendel Leisk like this.
  3. Kiril

Kiril Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I changed tires recently and got the same bad behavior from TPMS. Apparently the winter set is programmed in as set 2 as I asked the dealer to do. But for some reason the car is not switching to the main set. I read the manual again and it says no registration is needed if you have both sets registered.

May be I need to do initialization when I am far away from home. I cannot find switch or anything to ask the car to use "Main Tire" set. You can see on top I have two sets registered and both have 4 tires. Aparently "Sensor ID Status" points to the 2nd set.....

The picture attached is screenshot from Techstream at home. The car is happy as the winter tires are on a rack beside it.....

Screen Shot 2018-05-13 at 5.05.58 PM.png

4. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    I think there is an error in the manual about Prius supporting two sets. There are Toyotas that have a switch in the glove compartment to select which set is active. But this is the first that I've heard that a Prius has the capability.

RCO and Mendel Leisk like this.
  5. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Yeah, anytime different sensors are brought to the car they need to be introduced, or reintroduced, AFAIK.

RCO likes this.
  6. Kiril

Kiril Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    No it is not an error. When I clicked the "Register IDs" button in tech stream it asked me which set I want to register. Techstream also lists two sets (I am not sure how to get the ID codes of the first set).... The manual explains about these two sets on several pages in different chapters. It is not a typo on one page. It is also explained in different languages as I read both the English and Bulgarian manual. Both say I should not do anything special when changing tires with rims.....

I will play a bit with techstream in office tomorrow away from my winter tires and will visit the dealer ....may be I am missing something about this switch. It seems all new European vehicles after 2014 have a requirement for TPMS and most support two sets.....

7. Kiril

Kiril Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Here is the text from the English manual claiming I need not do anything when changing tires

Mendel Leisk likes this.
  8. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    It will be great if you can actually use two sets of TPMS sensors. But I still think you need a switch to select the active set. Prius has never had the switch in the past, and automatic switching would be a new feature.

RCO likes this.
  9. Prodigyplace

Prodigyplace Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    The US 2017 Prius manual says this:
    upload_2018-5-13_11-54-51.png

i guess it remembers which wheel has which tire?

This too.

upload_2018-5-13_11-56-7.png

10. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    I wonder if the bit in the red box needs some editorial attention? As far as I know, the car identifies four wheels, doesn't much care where they are, as long as they're within range. They could be on the car in their usual positions, in a stack beside the car, or piled into the hatch.

RCO likes this.
  11. Elektroingenieur

Elektroingenieur Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Three Touring
    The European edition of the Repair Manual (available by subscription to toyota-tech.eu) describes such an “ID Switching Function” and gives this procedure to switch between the two sets of stored transmitter IDs:
    1. Install the tires and wheels that use the correct IDs to the vehicle.
    2. Turn the power switch on (IG).
    3. Operate the steering pad switch assembly, select "TPMS" on the multi-information display and operate the "ENTER" switch (steering pad switch assembly) on and off 3 times within 3 seconds (press/release → press/release → press/release).
    4. Check the answer-back function of the tire pressure warning light.
    Tech Tips: Make sure that the tire pressure warning light illuminates for 3 seconds and turns off for 0.5 seconds 3 times.​

None of this information appears in the U.S. edition of the Repair Manual.
    No, it’s correct that after rotating the tires—which should also involve adjusting the air pressure in each tire, since the front and rear pressures are different—the technician should do the initialization procedure, which stores the current pressure reading from each transmitter for reference. Initialization can be done without a Toyota Techstream system and is different from registration, which changes the stored transmitter IDs.

RCO, Prodigyplace, Kiril and 2 others like this.
  12. Mendel Leisk

Vehicle:
    2010 Prius
    Model:
    Touring
    Ok, that makes sense. It's storing values for specific sensors, and depending on their being front or rear, the pressures "should" be set a little different. I'm a little incredulous though, for a couple of reasons.

First off, and this is just personal: since I'm doing my own rotations, I got tired of adjusting the pressures for the front/rear difference, and opted to set them all to the same pressure, 2~3 pounds above the front tire pressure spec.

Secondly, owners have reported that the pressures need to drop about 25% from the set pressures, which makes the the front/rear difference of 1~2 pounds sort of insignificant.

RCO and krmcg like this.
  13. Kiril

Kiril Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    Thanks a lot! This is great to read. I wonder why this simple instruction is not in the "User Manual". At least they should mention that the two sets do not switch automatically.....

14. RobH

RobH Senior Member

Vehicle:
    2006 Prius
    So anybody have an American 2017/2018 to check this out? Probably have to use Techstream to register a second set before it will show up on the selection menu.

15. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    ...no I don't even know anybody with a Gen4...got 2 new Prius v's on the block though

16. Kiril

Kiril Junior Member

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Excel
    I am happy to report that triple pressing the "Central" button while in TPMS menu turned off the TPMS warning light after about hslf a minute of blinking.

So it seems indeed to have switched the set to "Main" from "2nd". I will report if something goes wrong in the next days as the prior discussion indicates that some time is needed by TPMS to actually do it's thing. I can also check in Tehcstream if the active set i snow "Main"

17. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    Thanks for reporting back.

RCO likes this.
  18. wjtracy

wjtracy Senior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Hybrid
    Model:
    N/A
    Tentative proof only because if you reset the warning light (on a Gen2/3) it can take a while for the computer to reassess if the codes are correct.

RCO likes this.
  19. Prodigyplace

Vehicle:
    2017 Prius
    Model:
    Two
    In post 89 I quoted the Gen 4 manual that says 20 minutes of driving.

RCO likes this.
  20. padroo

padroo Senior Member

Chesterton, Indiana Another third world country.
    Vehicle:
    2016 Prius
    Model:
    Four
    I ran into a problem with my Autel cloned TPMS sensors. I installed my new wheels with the cloned sensors and immediately went on vacation. About 20 minutes from home I got a TPMS warning light. I think it is still reading the old sensors that are stored in my garage because the light goes back out when the car is in the garage.
    I am still trying to figure it out.