1. Attachments are working again! Check out this thread for more details and to report any other bugs.

Regular battery problems / P0123+P0301+P1693

Discussion in 'Prius v Care, Maintenance and Troubleshooting' started by Nicolouchka, Mar 10, 2022.

1. Nicolouchka

Nicolouchka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Hello everyone,

We are in Québec (think very cold winters) and have a 2013 Prius V with 70 000 miles. We only use it for weekend trips but that hardly happened in the last two years. For instance, we literally only used the car 4 times in the last 4 months, for about 10 miles each time.

Over the last 3 years, we found the battery drained several times (unable to even open the car with the key). This always happened after we lent the car so we suspect a light left turned on. However, recharging the battery using another car always worked.

This time, it's a bit different. We can enter the car (so key fob works) but, when pressing the Power button, it complains that the key is missing and only the Check Engine orange light is turned on. Then, pressing the Power button might or might not turn off the car (apparently, I get it to shut down if I close the doors first). The OBD device returns these error codes:
    P0015 / P0123 / P0301 / P1693

We have 3 options:
    - Using a friend's car to recharge the battery
    - Sending the car to our usual garage
    - Sending the car to a Toyota dealer.

I tried looking for these error codes but only found generic information, not Prius-specific one so any assistance is welcome.

Thank you for your help.

upload_2022-3-10_12-59-38.png

2. bisco

bisco cookie crumbler

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius Plug-in
    Model:
    Plug-in Base
    you need a new 12 volt. i assume it is 9 years old? it is a fairly simple replacement process:
    watch
    watch
    and with that little amount of driving, you should keep a battery tender on it
    ref=asc_df_B000CITK8S

Extreme and Nicolouchka like this.
  3. rjparker

rjparker Tu Humilde Sirviente

Vehicle:
    2012 Prius v wagon
    Model:
    Three
    Agree with Bisco this time. You could take the battery out and have it load tested prior to buying a new one. A jump might get it going but don't use another vehicle. A 12v lithium jump box is much safer on these cars. Once a 12v battery has been seriously discharged many times, combined with age, damage occurs.

Nicolouchka likes this.
  4. Nicolouchka

Nicolouchka Junior Member

Vehicle:
    Other Electric Vehicle
    Model:
    N/A
    Thank you both for the answer. I'll get the 12v tested tomorrow and act accordingly.